Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Ricoh 500GX sticky multi-exposure lever Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Ricoh 500GX sticky multi-exposure lever « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Cath Lewis

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, December 04, 2005 - 02:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I bought a (1970's?) Ricoh 500GX recently on Ebay. It looks in good condition, and all the features seemed to work OK until I got towards the end of the film and tried to use its multi-exposure facility: a small lever at the bottom of the camera which you slide across, and allows an unlimited number of shots. Instead of springing back and allowing the extra shot, it jammed totally, and I couldnt release the shutter at all. After much fiddling with the lever, the mechanism freed itself, but I noticed there is a little bit of rust on the bit of metal underneath the lever, which may be causing the problem. I wonder if it needs a drop of lubrication - is this recommended? And if so, what is the best thing to use? The multiexposure lever is on the outside of the camera so no lubricant would touch the lens or shutter, but would it attract dirt into the slot and make matters worse in the future? I have no experience of camera repairs/maintenance so dont want to ruin it by doing something silly...
Any advice appreciated!

Howard

Posted on Sunday, December 04, 2005 - 06:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Cath,
It might be worth trying to scrape the rust off as much as possible with a scalpel blade or something similar. A very small amount of oil should be ok but only use very little. Also, you are probably aware of this but, you have to rotate the switch just above the slide from the nine o'clock position to the ten o'clock position each time before you move the slide across.
regards
Howard

WernerJB

Posted on Monday, December 05, 2005 - 03:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The mechanism of that glider switch is rather simple. It can be activated after turning a round disc-like knob which will return to default position after use. It is not too difficult to remove the front aluminium cover for inspection, but this requires the peeling back of the edges of the leatherette under which there are four slothead screws, and a screw at the double exposure switch itself. You will also have to unscrew and remove the aperture ring (three grub screws) and the self-timer lever. After carefully cleaning everything will most probably be alright again.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration