Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Pentax ME Super--slow speeds simply d... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Pentax ME Super--slow speeds simply don't work « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

CJ

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, December 05, 2005 - 03:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello All,

I enjoy using my Pentax ME Super, however, it came to my attention one evening that any shutter speed as indicated by the meter/finder Christmas tree as being one second or more (up to for, IIRC) is anything but. By the sound of it, the shutter seems to default to X sync speed (1/125).

Does anybody know what this might be happening? Is there a possible fix for this, short of taking it in for a CLA?

Thanks,

-CJ

M Currie

Posted on Monday, December 05, 2005 - 11:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The low speeds use an escapement, which can get dirty or stiff with age. I don't think there's any way around a CLA if they don't work properly, but it's pretty common and usually pretty simple to fix. One alternative, if you haven't been using the camera a lot might be to dry fire it a number of times without film, and see if the mechanism limbers up. I have a Leica that misbehaved when I bought it 35 years ago, but after some exercise it recovered, and has been fine ever since.

rick

Posted on Tuesday, December 06, 2005 - 06:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't think that's the case with the ME Super: it has an electronic shutter and aperture priority automation. I don't know of anything offhand that would selectively disable the slow speeds in that camera.

Exactly which speeds are working properly and which speeds are not? For the higher speeds you can check with a TV screen: http://rick_oleson.tripod.com/index-135.html

rick

Posted on Tuesday, December 06, 2005 - 06:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

On the larger question, though, a CLA is probably going to be required.

CJ

Posted on Tuesday, December 06, 2005 - 09:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Rick, et. al:

Thank you for the information. I had a thorough look at that problem last night, and found that the slow-speeds-malfunctioning is intermittent; sometimes the slow speeds work just fine.

The problem arises when the meter automatically shuts off, and minutes later I trip the shutter. This will cause the afoarementioned "X-sync sounding" speed to be used, (too fast) as opposed to 1-4".

Put simply, the slow speeds appear to be MIA when the finder meter isn't woken up properly. Strange.

-CJ

Glenn Middleton

Posted on Tuesday, December 06, 2005 - 03:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have no repair knowledge of the ME Super, but the mode of failure is easy to explain. When the meter shuts off the camera is defaulting to the no battery/discharged battery mode, ie the mechanical 1/125 sec.

Now I do not know if camera is supposed to work at all electronic speeds when meter has been off for 'minutes', but as you have noticed this problem I suppose it used to. So I would surmise that you have a faulty switch or a broken/corroded wire from the main battery circuit to the shutter circuit.

When the meter is on, the shutter is being powered via the meter feed. Switch meter off and the shutter will go dead also.

This could just be caused by a high resistance in a main feed wire. I suggest you try and find a circuit diagram or schematic before diving in, unless a look around the battery 'box' reveals the dreaded black conductor wires.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration