Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

FED/Zorki screw thread size Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » FED/Zorki screw thread size « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

miket

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, December 06, 2005 - 06:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What's the thread size of the screws used throughout the construction of the Soviet era rangefinders? I'm not talking about the external body screws (which appear to use the same thread,) but instead the screws used to attach the various components of the camera chassis together. My guess would be 1.6~1.7mm but I would like to be sure before I order anything from Micro Tools. Thanks in advance

Glenn Middleton

Posted on Tuesday, December 06, 2005 - 07:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

They are all around 1.6mm, but as you may have noticed the external screws have heads that are larger on the later models. I have some mount retaining screws off the early FED that come out at 1.84mm, they look original.

I have found the best source of screws is scrap bodies. These come very cheap and are great for spare bits.

Depending on what you want, I may be able to help - Contact me direct if you wish.

miket

Posted on Tuesday, December 06, 2005 - 09:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a pretty much complete set of the external screws and mount ring screws, what I need are some to finish building up the chassis itself from leftover parts I have laying about. I have all the parts needed, all I really need are the screws themself. I'm short about 6~8 screws in varying lengths of 2~4mm. I've thought about getting another body but that leads to more cruft which is what I'm trying to avoid. Then again that's pretty much impossible around here... Anyway, thanks for the information and the offer.

rick oleson

Posted on Tuesday, December 06, 2005 - 10:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think those are 1.7mm.

Glenn Middleton.

Posted on Tuesday, December 06, 2005 - 11:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Could be as the screws are pretty slack in the threaded holes. I have never needed to run a tap through any tapped holes, so just put the micrometer on what I had lying around. will have a look at a Fed 1 this evening , just for curiosities sake.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration