Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Electro 35 with jammed focus ring Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Electro 35 with jammed focus ring « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

tony

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, December 07, 2005 - 12:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hi there,

I have an electro 35 with a jammed focus ring. There is a tiny bit of movement and my guess is that there is some grit in the helical thread.

Does anyone have advice about disassembling the lens to get the grit out please? I have been as far as under the aperture ring on an Electro 35. What do I do to access the helical thread?

Thanks

Wim Abbeloos

Posted on Wednesday, December 07, 2005 - 12:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The jammed focus is a problem, but fixed lens rangefinders often have a bit of movement of the lens barrel that is normal and can not be fixed. I don't know if this is true for the electro 35.

I haven't repaired this model yet so I think your best bet is to wait for somebody else to answer.

Good luck

charlie

Posted on Wednesday, December 07, 2005 - 07:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Google "matt's cameras", click on "rangefinders", select and click on "Yashica GSN" and track down some of the links in that article to find disasembly tips. Good luck.

tony

Posted on Wednesday, December 07, 2005 - 08:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Charlie, but I'm afraid that page doesn't cover disassembly past the aperture ring.

Has anyone out there actually diassembled the focus ring please? Would I have to remove the shutter mechanism?

M.Yonezawa

Posted on Wednesday, December 07, 2005 - 08:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello Tony;

You have to release this tight locked ring which is behind rear lenses elements.
http://image7.photohighway.co.jp/NK068/168/Photos/middle/78161954820qz1.jpg

Before that you have to disassemble all the front elements.
http://image7.photohighway.co.jp/NK068/168/Photos/middle/80232550455qz1.jpg

Good luck!

tony

Posted on Wednesday, December 07, 2005 - 10:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks! But will I really need to unsolder all those wires??

(serves me right for working on a camera called "electro" :) )

WernerJB

Posted on Thursday, December 08, 2005 - 07:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Tony, yes, I am afraid you will have to do that. This is why I gave up a while ago when I encountered a somewhat similar "electro 35" problem. Up to the present this camera has been the only one that I was unable to put together again, but that is why I wish you luck !

Glenn Middleton

Posted on Thursday, December 08, 2005 - 10:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This has worked on two lenses that I found to be 'jammed'. Work a strip of business card round the gap between focus ring and lens barrel. In both my cases the piece of grit was being rotated as the focus ring moved and just wedging the focus.Cleaning out the gap solved my problems and I now do this 'clean out' on every used lens I buy, which has that gap.

Not saying that your problem is this, but worth a try to keep you out of those wires.The other cure is sacrilege and that involves just working the focus until the obstruction clears.I have a really battered 200mm/f2.8 FD that had nice optics but horrid focusing.It was purchased for the glass to do a swop out, however the so called damaged optics cleaned up and I was left with this dog.Nothing to loose I just spent a night working it - eventually freed up and is now a horrible looking working lens.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration