Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Lubing a Compur Rapid Shutter. Need ... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Lubing a Compur Rapid Shutter. Need Advice « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

sean

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, December 07, 2005 - 06:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,
I've got a Compur-Rapid Shutter (holding a 90mm Schneider Angulon) that I am attempting to CLA.
I've cleaned the mechanism with lighter fluid but now I need to lube. What should I use for lubricant and especially, where should I lube? I believe that only a few very small places need lubrication, but I'm not sure where.
Can anyone help me out or direct me to a source?

Winfried

Posted on Thursday, December 08, 2005 - 06:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am not sure about the Compur-Rapid but the Synchro-Compur repair manual mentions three or so different lubricants. Fortunately most of the lubrication instructions apply for the SLR variety of the Compur shutter and the bayonet. Anyhow the manufacturer gives no details about the formula of his lubricants (which have to be ordered there), so it probably it is a game of luck to find replacements.

I have cleaned several Compur and Compur-Rapid shutters. They seem to run quite well without any lubricant. If you want to lubricate them, I would apply just a thin layer of silicon grease on the speed cams and on the cam for the booster spring. DO NOT lubricate the escapement gears.

Mike Kovacs

Posted on Thursday, December 08, 2005 - 07:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The grease is a good idea but I disagree with Winfried about not lubricating the escapement gears. I find it very often necessary to add a pindrop of oil to the pallet and star gear shafts, even after a good ultrasonic cleaning.

Use the absolute smallest amount of gun oil (Nye Oil, there are other choices) applied by dipping a needle into the oil and dotting a tiny drop, then wiping all excess.

rick oleson

Posted on Thursday, December 08, 2005 - 10:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have some of both experiences re. lubricating the escapement. What I usually do is to try it dry... if it runs smoothly (which they do about 75% of the time) I leave it dry, and if it hesitates I apply a small drop of oil just as Mike described, to the shafts of the pallet and the star wheel... and also on the teeth of the star wheel. That's all. And the oil has to be very, very light and thin.

BrianShaw

Posted on Friday, December 09, 2005 - 07:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There's a time-honored rule-of-thumb anomgst horologists about lubricating clockwork mechanisms: grease sliding surfaces, oil turning surfaces (pivots/gear shafts), and the gear leafs go dry. Compurs, in my experience, don't like to run dry -- they LOVE to be lubed. Like Mike and Rick said, use lubrication very sparingly. Too much, and you'll be back doing another CLA before too much time passes! It only takes a 'microscopic' drop of watch oil on the pivots (top and bottom) and an extremely thin smear of moly or graphite grease on sliding surfaces to make them run smooth. I don't use silicon (white) grease except for the click stops on the speed ring. I've never oiled the star wheel teeth, however. But I do grease the release arm and the mainspring drive mechanism as the manual recommends.

jimSandling

Posted on Wednesday, December 14, 2005 - 05:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is graphite powder (used for locks, etc) not a suitable lube for Synchro-Compur shutter blades and gear mechanisms ? This dry powder freed up the blades nicely. looking for your thoughts on using this dry lube on gears.

BrianShaw

Posted on Wednesday, December 14, 2005 - 08:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No. Graphite powder will quickly migrate and dirty the lens surfaces. I've read some suggestions to rub shutter blades with graphite powder but that is usually a questionable shortcut for a proper cleaning and lubrication with proper lubricants.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration