Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Seikosha MX shutter blade reassemby c... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Seikosha MX shutter blade reassemby challenge « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Gary

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, December 07, 2005 - 09:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just received a 80mm f2.8 lens/shutter for a Mamiyaflex C. It's the older 1/400th MX chrome type. Unfortunately when I cocked and released the shutter the blades fell out of their pivots. Now I'm trying to reassemble the blades via trial & error but...no luck thus far. One aggravation in particular: the plate that holds the pivots & blades in place has 3 small screws, 2 of which easily line up with their screw holes and 1 that is obstructed by a blade. If I cock the shutter and move the pivots I eventually can get that last screw in but then the blades will not open & close properly. Internet searches & a camera repair book revealed some information on servicing a Seikosha MX shutter but nothing has been located on blade reassembly. I'd be very happy to receive some 'self help' advice from someone who has undertaken this drill. I'm not about to send it out for professional repair. The shutter itself works fine. Thank you in advance.

Gary

Posted on Thursday, December 08, 2005 - 04:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Since I received no responses I'll try to answer my own question. Slow but sure I'm beginning to understand how the shutter blades should be reassembled. The plate that I thought held the pivots & blades in place actually mounts directly to the back end of the shutter assembly with 3 short & small flat head screws. The blades then mount on top of that plate. The blades have small pin holes near their pivot points which snap over each of the 5 raised pins in the plate. Next all I need to do is attach the 5 blades (in their correct direction & sequence) over the pins and pivots. Finally the rear cover plate with aperture blade assembly needs to be attached snugly with its 3 screws. Hope all goes well.

WernerJB

Posted on Friday, December 09, 2005 - 01:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Gary, your way of dealing with the matter is what I usually do when there is no response. What you describe is exactly what I found when figuring out how Yashica aperture/shutter assemblies go back together, in the end everything was easier said than done, good luck to you.

Gary

Posted on Friday, December 09, 2005 - 02:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Last night I finally installed the blades. The blade action is progressively real snappy at all speeds except for one problem...after I cock the shutter, the blades release & snap right back as the cocking arm is released. There is no 'cock and lock' function unless the shutter is in the B position. Earlier, while moving the shutter around with the back end off, I found that a small peg-like chromed piece fell out. God knows where it came from but maybe it has to do with the locking action. I'm thinking it's best to go in from the front end this time to see if I can find where that little peg-like piece of metal came from. Solve one problem, create another!

rick

Posted on Friday, December 09, 2005 - 09:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i think the reason nobody responded to your first question is that there was no quick answer. for the blades to fall out on operating the shutter means that it was totally disassembled and not put back together.... they are the very last thing that comes out, and you don't usually go that far in on a routine service of a leaf shutter. you will probably know a WHOLE lot about how this shutter works by the time you're done.

i have some general leaf shutter service notes, some of them go in this deep but probably not on this specific shutter. i hardly know which to send you, but you're welcome to them if you think they might help.

rick

Posted on Friday, December 09, 2005 - 09:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

never mind - you already have them, don't you?

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration