Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Is this camera broken??? Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Is this camera broken??? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

jwalitm

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, December 09, 2005 - 12:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hello!

I just received my Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ5, with 12x optical zoom and image stabilization.

Out of the box, there is a very small "click" when I tilt the camera back and forth. It sort of feels that there is something loose inside (a broken part?).

I turned on the camera and the lense moved out smoothly and rolled back in smoothly as well as I shut it off. I haven't taken many snaps, but at close range focusing seems alright.

Do you think there could be a problem??

WernerJB

Posted on Friday, December 09, 2005 - 01:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, what you describe reads like you have a very modern pixelcam. This forum is for vintage cameras exclusively. Before you go on asking more questions that nobody here knows any answers to, read the introductory notes.

charlie

Posted on Friday, December 09, 2005 - 03:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

We're all too old to know anything about digital cameras.

rick

Posted on Friday, December 09, 2005 - 04:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

what's a zoom?

BrianShaw

Posted on Friday, December 09, 2005 - 04:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Digital camera... isn't that the kind that you have to use your fingers to push the buttons?

Alex

Posted on Saturday, December 10, 2005 - 12:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You are all too unkind. At least give him a pointer on how to fix his camera.

I have found that for digital cameras, the best solution for problems is to immerse it in water for approximately four hours, then dry it off in an oven. Don't overheat it -- Gas Mark 5 (190 degrees C) should be enough. There's usually a few residual drop of moisture left after the baking, so I find that a few sizeable taps with a four-pound hammer does the trick and knocks out those last irritating drops.

rick

Posted on Saturday, December 10, 2005 - 04:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Alex, you're a real sweetheart.... we should all feel ashamed.

: ) =

BrianShaw

Posted on Sunday, December 11, 2005 - 09:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wow... this is a forum of old tymers. "Don't overheat it -- Gas Mark 5 (190 degrees C) should be enough." Why not take advantage of modern technology every once in a while and dry it out in the microwave -- 3 minutes on 'high' ought to be enough, don't you think?

Nikos

Posted on Sunday, December 11, 2005 - 01:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Being a sailor, and knowing that what usually works for clocks is very often applicable to cameras I would be inclined to forego all those hi tech solutions offered already by the illuminated forumites that responded to your plight. I would go for the simple Joshua Slockum recipe: boil it man, boil it. Time and temperature are easy to determine. Slocum’s clock had only one digit. Contact the manufacturer of your digital camera and find out how many digits your camera is endowed with. Take Slocum’s time and temperature, multiply by the number of your camera’s digits and you are all set. I am not sure though what will happen to the 12X zoom; It may shrink a bit.

ex Luddite

Posted on Sunday, December 11, 2005 - 02:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bloody Hell I can see the festive 'spirit' is already flowing. The answer to the original question is Yes the DMC-FZ5 does indeed 'click'. One starts to worry when the thing starts to sound like a coffee grinder.

Alex

Posted on Sunday, December 11, 2005 - 02:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Microwave ovens, Brian? I bet you got thrown out of the Classic Gas Oven Repair Forum for that too.

sloppyjoec

Posted on Tuesday, December 13, 2005 - 10:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hey DOes my canonet qualify me for "old timer" status at 25? cool, on a more serious note, though, Don't touch that digital, remove one screw and any worrenty goes up in smoke. call pantasonic and get it sent in

Nikos

Posted on Wednesday, December 14, 2005 - 01:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I concur; pantasonic sounds like a very good idea.

Rob

Posted on Friday, December 23, 2005 - 10:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think all the oven ideas are a little over the top. I have a nice oxy-acetylene setup in the garage that does wonders, and faster than the microwave too.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration