Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Prewar Contax mount Biogon 35/2.8 Stu... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Prewar Contax mount Biogon 35/2.8 Stuck Ring « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

mike kovacs

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, December 11, 2005 - 06:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Looking for advice here from somebody that has worked on a prewar Biogon 35/2.8 in Contax RF mount.

I can't get the spanner ring holding the aperture control mechanism off. I've worked on a couple of Jupiter-12 lenses and assume that its identical and right hand thread. The front cell came out easily.

Tried cold, lighter fluid, penetrating oil, will try ultrasonics. Rubber glove and as much force as I can muster by hand and its not budging.

Anyone have any input? Is it remotely possible that its left hand thread? Seems highly unlikely to me but maybe somebody has worked on one.

Wayne

Posted on Tuesday, December 13, 2005 - 04:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Mike

Have you removed the little grub screw at the back that locks it in place (access via one of the slots where the spring is)? I'm assuming the Biogon is the same as the J-12 in that respect as I've never had a Biogon in my hands. I turned that ring so hard - without removing the grub screw - that I damaged the thread where the grub screw bites. Had to clean up the threads to get it all back together. Looked at the dissassembly instructions Kiev Survival site AFTER I'd made the mistake... If you've worked on J-12's you've probably removed the screw, so I can only recommend to drop some acetone or white sprit into the threads to loosen them up.

Good luck with that beautiful lens. I'll have to make do with my FSU equivalent for the time being.

Cheers, Wayne

mike kovacs

Posted on Wednesday, December 14, 2005 - 06:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wayne,

The Kiev Survival site is gone temporarily, so maybe you can elaborate more?

I have another set of instructions I was following that omitted this small detail: https://kyp.hauslendale.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-2507.html

Guess what? YOU ARE A LIFESAVER. THANKS!

Wayne

Posted on Wednesday, December 14, 2005 - 04:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi there again Mike, I'm glad I can help you out.

If you look at the rear of the lens near the inner bayonet mount there are two slots that allow this spring loaded part of the mount to move backwards and forwards. They each have a screw which retains the inner bayonet collar. One (on the J-12 it's the slot positioned mid-way on one of the bayonet lugs) also has a smaller grub screw which is accessible through the slot. Depending on the position of the spring you may have to move the coils with a screwdriver or similar to see the screw. It's towards the back (rear element side) of the slot.

I hope this gets you out of trouble. This is all assuming that the J-12 has the same set-up as the Biogon of course...

I don't have access to a decent digicam at the moment, but if you need a pic let me know and I can send you one tonight (it's morning here in Australia).

Cheers
Wayne

Mike Kovacs

Posted on Monday, December 19, 2005 - 04:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just an update - she is clean and smooth now.

What about the LTM Jupiter-12. Plan on starting one on Thursday but don't see any outward signs of a grub screw like that.

Wayne

Posted on Monday, December 19, 2005 - 05:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mike

Glad to hear that the Biogon service went well. I don't have any LTM lenses so hopefully someone else will chime in with tips about that version of the J-12.

Cheers
Wayne

Mike Kovacs

Posted on Tuesday, December 20, 2005 - 05:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't use LTM neither, much more of a Contax guy - I just had two FED2's, one Zorki 4, I-61, J-12 and J-8 arrive at my door as my free intro!

Wayne

Posted on Tuesday, December 20, 2005 - 05:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey that's a nice FREE introduction!

I've got a Contax III with Sonnar 1.5, J-11 & J-12. Just finished a hybrid Contax II with Kiev lens mount. The clown I bought it off took the mount out of a perfectly good (well the shutter ribbons were broken) Contax to make a Leica/Contax converter. Some people got no shame... The Kiev mount fitted just fine, focus is a little stiffer than the genuine ZI part, but it works OK.

You might have to start a new thread about the LTM J-12.

Cheers
Wayne

Mike Kovacs

Posted on Wednesday, December 21, 2005 - 05:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

JESUS, he used a real CONTAX mount? No wonder us Contax guys find Leica people so difficult to get along with :)

Right now I have a couple of Contax II's, and a IIa black dial. The postwar Contax is worth getting if you haven't tried one - not better in every possible way imaginable, but better I think when you total all the variables, certainly smaller and lighter.

Mike Kovacs

Posted on Wednesday, December 21, 2005 - 05:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you don't mind, send me an email so I can get yours on file. I've now done to date lenses in Contax mount: J-12, prewar Biogon 35/2.8, J-8M, prewar Sonnar 50/2 collapsible, prewar Sonnar 50/1.5, postwar Sonnar 50/1.5, J-9, prewar Triotar 85/4.

Of course, several prewar Contax bodies and the postwar IIA BD.

I might be able to return the favour one day.

Mark Pearce

Posted on Wednesday, December 21, 2005 - 11:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have in the collection a Kiev 4 that was fitted with a Contax lensmount, front plate, upper casing and knobs, and back.
Not all leica types are tough to get along with. While I shoot WW II re-enactments wih the Contax gear, my buddy uses a pair of Leica IIIb with trigger winders.

Wayne

Posted on Wednesday, December 21, 2005 - 05:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mike I'll send you a message shortly - my email address doesn't display in this forum because I have an apostrophe in my surname (at least I think that's the reason).

Hi there Mark. Yep, I got the Contax working, thanks again for the Kiev parts. The only bits that didn't fit were the 4 screws for the focus mount - ZI used a coarse thread while the Kiev had fine threads. All other screws & bits fitted nicely.

Cheers
Wayne

Mark Pearce

Posted on Thursday, December 22, 2005 - 08:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If that's the only issue you had you did OK.
I just got 5 (!) RF prisms in the mail. Time to go into the parts boxes and buld up a camera or two.
MP

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration