Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Another nikon fg problem - light meter Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Another nikon fg problem - light meter « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

nicole

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, December 11, 2005 - 08:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i've just gotten a lovely nikon fg. i've searched a few archive questions but nothing similar to mine appeared. (or perhaps i need to do more searching)

a three parter!

a) the top warning led keeps blinking when it's in manual mode, AP mode or programmed. in manual mode, i've switched it to ever combination allowed. in ap mode, it just blinks. in p mode, the same. i've shot outside, inside, etc and it's still blinking.

b)is this just a battery problem or something more severe?

c) if it's the former, should this affect my shots? and if it's latter, is it worth fixing?

Haig Hovaness

Posted on Sunday, December 11, 2005 - 12:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You can try a new battery, but this sounds like a circuit problem. The repair manual has several pages of decision box charts that would help you localize it, but then it still may not be an easy fix. There is a 50/50 chance that it is just a dirty or broken connection, but it could also be a non-replaceable component on the flex circuit. Unless you know your way around circuit testing, you are probably best off replacing it. Decent FG bodies can be had for $70 on eBay.

KrisR

Posted on Sunday, December 11, 2005 - 03:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it possible the 'ai' tab is broken off the metering ring? This would make the camera think the lens is wide open no matter what f-stop you set...causing the over exsposure triangle light to stay on.

nicole

Posted on Monday, December 12, 2005 - 04:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

ai tab? pardon my ignorance, where on earth might that be?

another thing that i've just noticed. it seems to choose the shutter speed fine (in a mode) but no leds depicting the shutter speed light up.

argh. what a christmas gift. heh.

would there be anyone here that could fix it for a fee? feel free to email me. i live in florida

KrisR

Posted on Monday, December 12, 2005 - 05:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Nicole,
On the camera there is a black ring that rotates around the lens mounting flange. It is spring loaded and engages with the aperature ring on the lens. When you turn the aperature ring, this black ring moves with it and tell the camera what F-stp you have set. This black ring should have a 'tab' that sticks up about 1/8" square. Sometimes these get broken off. If so, the camera will not meter properly.

Just a thought I had. In any case, the cost og repair if you could find someone to do it, would cost more than another camera. I have several Nikon FG bodies and if you need a replacement for Christmas I'd sell you a almost mint 100% working example for $85 including priority mail to Florida.

Kris Rademacher ' [email protected] '

Will

Posted on Monday, December 19, 2005 - 02:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It could be a poor contact with the ISO wiper and resistive track, or the circular segmented resistor ring is bad. But I think it more likely there is a bad circuit board or other continuity break. Mebbe best take up Kris on his offer.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration