Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Yashica M rewind problem Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Yashica M rewind problem « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Duncan

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, December 11, 2005 - 11:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I bought a Yashica M from a charity shop recently, but I can't rewind the film now it's finished. I have turned the knurled button on the base to 'R', which released the rewind crank OK, but the take-up spool does not run free. Tried opening camera in darkroom, but can't pull film out. Any suggestions? I'm not a tinkerer as such, I just have a weakness for oldies, if they appear to be working.

Stuart Willis

Posted on Wednesday, December 14, 2005 - 02:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

As I recall there is only the usual light friction clutch integral with the take-up spool. The rewind button actually declutches the toothed sprocket - not the take-up spool. Are you sure that in trying to extract the film in the darkroom you were not thwarted by the toothed sprocket.

May I suggest that, again in the darkroom, you lift the film gently off the sproket teeth then advance the film one full frame. Then whilst still in the darkroom and with the film not tracking the toothed sprocket, pull the film to see if the former measure has provided free rotation of the take-up spool.

Once the film is out you can of course get the camera on the bench and sleuth whatever was the glitch.

Duncan

Posted on Wednesday, December 14, 2005 - 05:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Stuart, many thanks. Sounds logical ... should have thought of that, although I can't now remember whether or not I lifted the film clear of the sprocket. Will have a go tomorrow. A former photo dealer suggested today that I remove the base plate and investigate from there, but I'm not confident that the body will still be light-tight.

Duncan

Posted on Wednesday, December 14, 2005 - 09:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks again, that worked. The sprocket shaft is definitely not releasing though, and I've no time to fiddle with the beast, so I guess that's the last film I'll put through it :-(

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration