Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Sticky/tacky Canon ever-ready cases. Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Sticky/tacky Canon ever-ready cases. « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

CJ

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, December 13, 2005 - 06:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm now the owner of a second Canonet ever-ready case which has an outside ridge (the part which runs along the back and font cut-out) which feels a little like caramel or semi-dried jam.

I can't remove this stuff with Windex or isopropyl alcohol. What the heck is this stuff?

One case--which came with a Canonet 28--is a complete write off. The entire outside is tacky, and the aforementioned solvents can't remove it.

The second case--which came with my QL17--is of different construction; the fake leather looks more convincing, and again, it's only the outside top ridge which is tacky.

My impulse now is to try to 'coat' the case with some type of water-repellant spray (typically used for shoes). Given that I can't remove the stuff, I'd at least like to coat it and stop the tackiness--which rubs off as black junk if you run a piece of paper over it.

-CJ

rick

Posted on Tuesday, December 13, 2005 - 09:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Have you tried naphtha (zippo lighter fluid)? Windex and isopropyl alcohol won't dissolve much of anything.

Cj

Posted on Tuesday, December 13, 2005 - 10:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No...haven't tried naphtha yet. I think I used most of a bottle on my Konica S2 blades. (Still working on that darned thing in true Flight of the Phoenix style.)

Time to go to the drug store and buy another bottle; I'll give it a try.

Stuart Willis

Posted on Wednesday, December 14, 2005 - 02:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This is an "oh so common problem" with ERC's of that era.
The simulated leather cases are of a paper or fibre substructure as then sprayed or impressed with a chemical overlay. One the chemical structure breaks down (as usually due to storage humidy over a long period) it remains sticky forever. I have attempted dozens of such renovations and the best I have achieved did not totally and entirely quell the stickiness. But I came acceptably close with application of a leather preservative as used routinely on such as riding boots. One particular brand name is "Dubbin" but there are many others. You have nothing to lose by trying such.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration