Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Zorki 4K - strange shutter problem Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Zorki 4K - strange shutter problem « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Lauri Kapari

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, December 15, 2005 - 02:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I got another "almost nearly mint possibly never ever used absolutely very good condition excellent camera" from a Russian E-bay dealer.
The problem is that the shutter in the Zorki 4K in question (which had clearly gone throught some not-so meticulous servicing) started to malfunction after a few test firings (no, I didn't change the speeds....).
The strange this is, the slow speeds work fine, and all the rest (30-1000 and B) work when using the self timer, but when using the shutter release button they fire at some unknown constant speed (shutter won't stay open at B).
The shutter release mechanism at the bottom of the housing seems simple enough, but I can't figure out what could cause the problem. Any ideas?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Glenn Middleton

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, December 15, 2005 - 04:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

As you will have seen, the only difference between button and timer release is that the timer has it's own pin to push down on the flat spring plate. If shutter speeds are OK in timer mode then it is the button mechanism itself that must be causing the problem.

This might just be swarf or dirt and a flush clean of the offending mechanism might do the trick. The fact that B will not work on the button suggests that the blind catch is not engaging when the button release rod depresses, ie it's travel is limited via the button.

The release rod is connected to the plate spring by a small groove that fits into a 'keyhole' slot in the spring. I have seen this groove/keyhole so worn that the rod just slides through.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration