Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Yashica MAT 124 - Lens/Shutter Asse... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Yashica MAT 124 - Lens/Shutter Assembly Removal « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Tom

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, December 16, 2005 - 08:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I acquired a Yashica MAT 124 recently and found that the shutter would not fire using the button. It would however fire using the cable. I removed the leatherette, four brass screws and the lens/shutter assembly. I adjusted the lever, by bending it slightly, which the button activates the shutter so that button the will now fire the shutter. I then removed the viewing unit so that I could insure the position of the two pins for aperture and shutter speed. They are positioned correctly so that they work correctly with the levers. All appears AOK but I have lost the B shutter speed. It will fire but will not remain open. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Tom aka keltic knot com
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

rick

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, December 17, 2005 - 03:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hi tom:

you didn't open the shutter? the B lever is internal to the shutter and anything you do externaly should not affect it.

failing to stay open at B is a symptom of a dirty shutter - as are sluggish slow speeds or a hesitant self timer. i have some general notes on leaf shutter CLAs at http://rick_oleson.tripod.com/index-55.html and http://rick_oleson.tripod.com/index-158.html

the B lever is generally found near the shutter release; it has a light spring and drops into position to block the shutter from closing as the shutter release is pressed. a little dirt and it gets sticky, the spring isn't strong enough to move it, and the B setting is lost.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration