Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Contaflex Prima shutter removal Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Contaflex Prima shutter removal « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Steve

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, December 17, 2005 - 07:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ignoring dire warnings in previous threads, I am attempting to fix my Contaflex Prima (Pantar lens, Prontor shutter). Winding and cocking appeared normal, except that the shutter did not close, ever, and the shutter-speed ring was jammed. I dismantled from the front down to the mechanism (reassembly looks as though it will be "entertaining", to say the least!).

The jammed shutter-ring was caused by a lever ("B" exposure) trapped and bent, below the cam plate. The non-closing shutter MAY be explained by the broken end of a tension spring peering out from the slot where the diaphragm controlling tab operates. The spring is 1/16" diameter, closely coiled, and about 5/8" long. To find out where it came from I have to remove the shutter mechanism from the body.

I have lifted the covering from the front and removed the 4 screws, and I have removed the top cover. I removed the prism, though this doesn't seem to help. Next, I removed the wind mechanism. I wish I hadn't, because it doesn't seem to have got me anywhere, and I have spent the last couple of hours trying to figure out how to get it back! How do you get the correct relationship between the gear on the body and the gear on the wind mechanism?

The shutter unit seems to be held on both sides in line with the upper enamelled strip. What do you have to do to get the thing off??

rick oleson

Posted on Saturday, December 17, 2005 - 09:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have notes for the Prima, which hopefully might be of some help. I'm not sure that I've been in to the same places you're going, but you're welcome to what I have for whatever it's worth.

Please email me if you'd like them.

rick :)=

Andrés Fontana

Posted on Saturday, December 17, 2005 - 12:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Steve:
The contaflex Prima is veri beautifull camera to disabled and repair, but a head sick too.
The relation between the gear and the shutter is dificult but posible. I use a litle plane screw driver to tense gently a gear in shutter before to lock the gear of the winding mechanism. A little time is necesary to confront the correct relation.Sorry for mi bad english. I hope you understand somthing of that. Andrés Fontana from Argentina.

Steve

Posted on Saturday, December 17, 2005 - 01:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Andrés,

It does seem to be very "hit and miss" getting the gears together correctly. Up to now I have only missed!

Steve

Posted on Sunday, December 18, 2005 - 03:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Many thanks for your notes and pictures Rick. I've been going about the job in completely the wrong way!

I saw the 4 screws holding the shutter unit to the front-plate at an early stage, but since I couldn't get a screwdriver square on to them, working through the film gate, I decided I had to get the front-plate off. From there on it was tunnel vision all the way, focussing just on getting the front-plate off! It turns out the screws weren't tight, and it was a 5 minute job getting the mechanism off.

This also solves the problem of getting the wind assembly back, because with this in place first, it is now just a matter of refitting the shutter mechanism with the gears set right, which looks a lot easier to control.

It's clear that my broken spring is the one shown on your diagram attached to the shutter ring, so more than likely it is the cause of the shutter problem.

Must remember to always try the easy way first!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration