Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Was my lens damaged? Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Was my lens damaged? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Evgeny

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, December 19, 2005 - 03:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I took pictures at sea for about an hour before I noticed the picture in viewfinder gets very dim as a result of fresh gale and salt air.

I immediately packed my FM3a camera and went home. I spent whole evening removing moisture from polarizing and ND8 filters, and external surfaces of Nikkor 180mm f2.8 ED manual focus lens.

But... I'm very nervous about the thin coating of moisture I see inside the lens.....

1. Was my lens damaged by salt moisture?

2. I need (preferably detailed) instructions how to disassemble the 180mm f2.8ED MF lens to clean the inside.
I think it is easy, via unscrewing the screws which fix the lens elements inside barrels. Can you share your successful experiences?

I'm afraid about proper assembly, such as if collimation will be necessary (or lens elements will fit back well) or there is any special materials between the elements (some astronomy ED lens has oil between elements), etc.
Waiting for replies!

Thanks!
Evgeny

Roberto Rossi

Posted on Monday, December 19, 2005 - 10:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If this lens got as wet as you seem to indicate, then corrosion of unpainted/anodised surfaces will have started. Also, your comments about lens construction would indicate that you are a beginner in the field of photographic lens refurbishment. Whilst one has to start somewhere; in all honesty if this lens is of value to you, I would get it seen by a professional.

A lens that has been soaked in water should be stripped down completely, cleaned and then relubed. Seawater has the added problem of corrosion on any unprotected metal surfaces. A bonus for modern 'plastic' construction is that the internals are less prone to chloride ion attack.

I have seen Nikon lens manuals on eBay, but do not know if your specific lens was mentioned.

Evgeny

Posted on Tuesday, December 20, 2005 - 02:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't know how is it serious. I have astronomical instruments and sometimes clean optics and like clean optics.

I don't see water inside Nikkor 180mm f2.8 lens. But if I look through the lens at bright light at some angles I can see thin coating of something on the internal surfaces of the front and back elements. I not saw this coating before. I think it is a result of
taking pictures at the sea.

I want to disassemble the lens myself. I will need to clean it periodically, so why not to get the experience.

Where can I buy tools to disassemble the lens?

Glenn Middleton

Posted on Tuesday, December 20, 2005 - 11:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OK; Go to the Micro Tools site www.micro-tools.com and you will see a good selection of lens tools. Also look on eBay, some of the of the tools are also available from India at much cheaper prices than Micro tools. You get what you pay for, but I have found some real bargains this route and for DIY use they are adequate. On the Micro tools site go to the Spanner Wrench page:- Tool SP1 is a very useful wrench but also order the two extra bits (15mm and 30mm),you will need these. Only thing you might find is the need to slim down the bit ends to fit any slots/holes your lens has - an easy job with a Dremel + grinding wheel.

So the lens was not wet inside. What you see is just the normal fine layer of dirt that enters the lens due to the suction caused by the movement of the lens barrel. The use of the lens by the sea will not cause a 'mist of salt spray' to thinly coat the internal surfaces of the optics. If you get water in the lens during use it will not show itself as a thin coat, but bloody great drops and runs which dry to great streaks on the glass.

Now a bit of advice based on 40 years of cleaning lenses and using photographic equipment in a professional capacity. The dust you see in the lens will do no harm to your images. You will be quite surprised how dirty/damaged the optics can be and still produce good images, I am talking 20" x 16" from 35mm negs here. If you really want to start getting degraded images, start cleaning your lenses periodically by stripping them down. More lenses are damaged optically by cleaning, than dropping on the floor.

As many on this forum will tell you, cleaning the internals can put specks on the optics that are more noticeable than the dirt specks you were removing. Fungus is the only thing that really warrants drastic and immediate action and this is only because of the damage that it can cause to the glass, not the image.

I love clean optics and if you search the recent archive you will find notes on my set up. It is way over the top and only used when major overhauls are carried out, but it is the only way to guarantee a dust free interior surface.

If it were me I would get my experience on a good lens that is cheap because it is dirty and stiff. Cleaned and relubed, you will end up with a usable optic at a bargain price. Clean the 180mm when it really needs doing.

WernerJB

Posted on Wednesday, December 21, 2005 - 03:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am one of the many and have been tinkering for about only two years by now, always fully appreciating advice like Glenn Middleton's input on the matter. From my rather inexperienced view what he says is right in every respect. Even when new, lenses are not immaculate, look through any one against a dark backgrund with a light source from underneath and you will see that layer that troubles you so much. In other words, you've got to learn to live with it, do not imitate the cleaning mad Mrs Mop, as excessive cleaning will definitely harm your lenses, period.

Evgeny

Posted on Wednesday, December 21, 2005 - 04:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I currently put this lens in a dry place...

Thanks a lot for all replies! :)

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration