Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Removing broken screws from an SRT- 101? Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Removing broken screws from an SRT- 101? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

John Phillips

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, December 19, 2005 - 11:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In trying to remove a dinged top cover for repair, I found the back two retaining screws held fast for no obvious reason. Nothing worked. I broke the heads off. I got the top cover off ok, but now the brass screws are sheared off in the frame. Advice on how to remove them without buggering the the threads in the frame? Any thoughts appreciated.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Glenn Middleton

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, December 19, 2005 - 01:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Place a drop of Naphtha onto each of the stubs and leave to penetrate, repeat this 3/4 times.Using a small slothead screwdriver with a sharp blade, press into the brass stub and try to unscrew. Note; the screwdriver blade must be of good quality tempered steel, also sometimes it is preferable to turn the stub clockwise first to break it free.

If the stubs are corroded in, a drop of kettle descaler will penetrate and loosen the corrosion products. Here in UK I have used a limescale remover/shower cleaner called Cillit-Bang to free up a number of corroded screws on various Russian lenses.

As it appears that your problem may be caused by bi-metallic corrosion, some means of removing the corrosion products may be your only way of freeing up the stubs.Otherwise you are left with the prospect of carefully drilling out and running a tap through.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration