Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Minolta X-570 common problem? Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Minolta X-570 common problem? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Wolfeye

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, December 20, 2005 - 02:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all, I posted this question quite a while back and it didn't get any replies, so maybe it wasn't a common problem. I do have an update of my own doing, though, so maybe it'll help someone else out.

I don't use my X-570 any more because it has a shutter problem - half the pictures are black on one side. I thought maybe it was the capacitor, the one fabled in the X-700 to cause everything from shutter problems to premature ejaculation, so I got some replacement caps and swapped it out. The end result: no dice. The problem remained, even seemed to get a bit worse (more frequent) at least.

So if anyone out there is pondering the same surgery, for the same problem, I can say that it did not help my camera.

Henry

Posted on Tuesday, December 20, 2005 - 05:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

First, I know this may be a dumb question, but are you setting flash photos to a faster speed than your cameras sync speed? Is the sync speed on a 570 1/60? 1/125 would give a half black exposure. 1/500 gives three quarters.

If not... Tell us more about the black side. Is it solid black with a sharp boundary?

Henry

kevin

Posted on Wednesday, December 21, 2005 - 07:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, you have a very common problem. Over time, the shutter curtain latchs get sloppy from wear in the advance/cocking mechanism. Most of the time, you can advance the timing gear (under the bottom cover) 1 notch to get a full stroke so the latches engage fully. Its the 2nd curtain latch that causes the problem. Eventually, the camera will require a complete tear down to effect repairs

Ron

Posted on Saturday, December 24, 2005 - 01:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Also, the shutter magnets may have become sticky or lost their kick and need cleaning or replacement.

Wolfeye

Posted on Monday, January 09, 2006 - 08:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Interesting, the comments about the shutter curtains and magnets. Alas, a complete teardown is beyond my level of skill and enthusiasm. :) I have another X-570 that is working fine, even though it's UGLY as sin. Scratched up, paint brassing everywhere, sticky shutter speed dial, but it works. It's probably just a matter of time before this one goes kaput too, but for now it's my baby.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration