Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Yashica Electro 35 GSN troubles Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Yashica Electro 35 GSN troubles « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Fabian Klein

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, December 21, 2005 - 12:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey people,

so i bought that electro 35 off e-bay at a good price.
I got it today, and, incredibly, everything looked great, everything worked just fine.
Unfortunately, it was dumb me that was trying out the camera (you know, advancing film without any film loaded, pressing the shutter, looking at things, turning dials... ).
Well, the problem that appeared was that at one point the film advance lever go back to it's original postion after i pulled it. i didn't pull it with excessive force, nor did i pull it further than it is supposed to be pulled (i hope).
what i might have done wrong (don't remember that exactly though) is that i might have held the shutter button pressed while pulling the film advance-lever.
anyway, the lever now is locked and can't be moved.
i phoned a local camera-repair-shop, and they told me i might have seriously damaged the shutter.

what do you think about this?
come on people, help me. PLEASE!

thanks a million in advance,

Fabian

ps. sorry for being so ignorant of technical details and all...and sorry for being so confused, too.

charlie

Posted on Wednesday, December 21, 2005 - 03:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do you have a good battery in the camera and can you release the shutter? I don't think you can advance the film again until you fire the shutter and I don't think you can do that without a good battery. Hope this helps.

Fabian Klein

Posted on Wednesday, December 21, 2005 - 05:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hey chralie,

thank you for taking time to read my post and answer to it.
much appreciated.

as to what you wrote:
i could fire the shutter before making my mistake (see above).
now i can't fire the shutter anymore, but i don't think it's got anything to do with the battery ... i mean, the shutter fired without a battery before i made the mistake, so i can't see any reason why it shouldn't work now?

am i mistaken about that?

again, thanks a lot for tkaing time and caring,

regards,

fabian

Richard Creviston

Posted on Wednesday, December 21, 2005 - 08:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Fabian; I just checked my two Electro GSN's and they both fire the shutter without the battery installed. Wish I could help further but have never been inside one.

Ezio

Posted on Thursday, December 22, 2005 - 04:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Open the back of the camera and look through the lens: can you see light (= the shutter is blocked in mid-action) or not? Also, it might indeed have to do with the battery. This camera originally used a battery that is no longer produced. There are ways around it but it may well be that you used the last drops of life in the existing battery. Try to press the shutter button as far as it will go while pointing the camera towards a very dark spot. The underxposure light should be activated. If it doesn't, as a first thing I would replace the battery. Make a google search and you will find several suggestions.

charlie

Posted on Thursday, December 22, 2005 - 07:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sorry, I forgot about the shutter lock. That why mine wasn't firing. Another suggestion. If you open the back can you rotate the sprocket by hand? If so this might help.

Dorian

Posted on Thursday, December 22, 2005 - 05:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

How could the camera "use the last drops of life in the existing battery" when it did not have a battery in it? This camera should fire without a battery. All the battery does is slow down the shutter to the correct speed.

Harlee

Posted on Thursday, December 22, 2005 - 08:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This dumb, and I suppose you've already checked this, but make sure there isn't any film in the camera. If there is, You may have reached the end of the roll mid-wind and it hasn't cocked the shutter enough to release it. You may also want to remove the bottom plate to see what's happening when you depress the shutter button.

Harlee

Posted on Thursday, December 22, 2005 - 08:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This may sound dumb, but make sure there isn't any film in the camera. If there is, you may have reached the end of the roll mid-wind and the advance shutter hasn't advanced far enough to cock the shutter. I'm sure you've checked this out already, but just in case you haven't.................!

Fabian Klein

Posted on Friday, December 23, 2005 - 02:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey all,

thanks a lot for your suggestions and all.

Anyway, guess I'll just have to bring it to the caera reapir guy and be terribly ripped off ... *sigh*.

Happy Christams to you all, regards,

Fabian

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration