Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Yashica Electro 35 Shutter Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Yashica Electro 35 Shutter « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Ben

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, December 21, 2005 - 04:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just got my most recent round of film back from my Electro GSN. I had always had a problem with indoor underexposure, but this last batch(of a stage show) came out horrible. I've been using 400 ASA color print film.

Anyway, the best I can determine, here's what's happening. If I press in the shutter button and no lights light, the shutter always fires at 1/500 of a second. If the yellow light lights, the shutter goes to bulb. If I open the shutter in a low light situation(such as with my finger covering the meter cell) and hold the release button down, then point the camera at a window or lamp, the shutter will close. Setting the first ring on the lens to the flash setting also causes the shutter to go to bulb.

At first, I thought that it might be a bad shutter release pad, but I moved the film advance lever click by click and never heard anything close to the clunk that others have described as being typical of this problem. Both of the lights also work fine, and both go out well before the end of the release lever travel.

The only properly exposed shots I've had have been either outdoors or using my Vivitar 283 flash on auto.

The battery that I'm using with the camera is the one that came with it, a Duracell PX32A that fits in the battery chamber perfectly. It measured 4.8 volts on my voltmeter, and lights up the battery check light fine. I think I have a spare PX28 battery lying around, as my primary camera is a Canon A-1, so I may try that.

Anyone have any ideas about what could be wrong? Thanks in advance for any help.

Donnie Strickland

Posted on Wednesday, December 21, 2005 - 08:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ben --

Sounds like a bad shutter release pad indeed.
If you hear NO "clunk", that's bad news. Your pad is probably shot. I know, I know, it seems counterintuitive, but if you DO hear a loud "clunk" that almost always means your camera is working just fine.

Ben

Posted on Wednesday, December 21, 2005 - 08:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Donnie,
Thanks for your help. I really like this camera, and, considering that every camera that I have ever attempted my own repair on remains in pieces, I would like to send this one off to someone who knows what they're doing. I read the repair procedure on the Yashica Guy's website, and don't think that this is one I want to attempt on an otherwise very nice camera.

Would anyone have any suggestions for a repair person in the Kentucky area? If not, anywhere in the United States would be fine, but I would prefer not to have to send it overseas.

Thanks in advance once again.

Richard Creviston

Posted on Wednesday, December 21, 2005 - 08:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ben; The PX 23A battery is a 6volt battery. The original battery was a PX 23 Mercury battery which delivered 5.6 volts. I wonder if your battery voltage may be too low for proper exposure metering? Also is there a chance that the battery was installed upside down?
My owners manual states that "If the green light comes on brightly, the battery power is sufficient." Is the check light bright? Wish I could help further. Let us know when you solve the problem. Richard.

Richard Creviston

Posted on Wednesday, December 21, 2005 - 09:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

P.S. To previous message. Ben both of my Electro GSN's have a distinct clunk when the advance lever is moved to the first notch as Donnie has indicated. Richard.

Donnie Strickland

Posted on Thursday, December 22, 2005 - 05:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ben --
I used Mark Hama from Atlanta to fix an Electro 35 of mine. He's on the web:

http://www.markhama.com

Also, the Electro 35 is not very fussy about battery voltage. Anything from 4.5v to 6.5 will work.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration