Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Yashica GSN secondary shaft alignment Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Yashica GSN secondary shaft alignment « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

scott

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, December 21, 2005 - 10:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just received a GSN in good cosmetic shape but the shutter was acting up, sort of as if it was always on B. After successfully replacing the pad, which did not solve the problem, I realized after removing the bottom cover that the secondary shaft is not staying down. When I press the shutter release button, I have to move the shaft slightly towards the advance lever for the little spring plate to engage, it does not reach the groove in the shaft without pushing the shaft slightly. Then, during advance I get the beautiful clunk that we all want.

I was able to put the pad in from the top. Do I need to take the camera apart to somehow adjust the shaft? Can it be moved or is this a parts camera with a pristine lens?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

john

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, December 29, 2005 - 06:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It could be that somebody has adjusted the shaft to take account of a deteriorating pad - you have now replaced that and changed the relationship between the two shafts.

You should be able to adjust the length of the second shaft using the screw head on the bottom end. Undo the screw (normal RH thread) until the shaft will just latch as the shutter releases.
Make sure it springs back up as you start to wind on and it should be OK.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration