Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Kiev 4 servicing Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Kiev 4 servicing « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

fabrice c

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, December 23, 2005 - 07:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

the usual pages on internet seems to be down, for a kiev servicing ! does anyone can give a hand to understand how I can open a kiev 4, for cleaning and lube : rangefinder needs to be fixed.

By the way, I also can't find how to remove the back access to the shutter curtain ...

thanks in advance !!

Mike Kovacs

Posted on Friday, December 23, 2005 - 07:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kiev Survival Site is said to be down temporarily while the owner goes through a divorce. Russ promises to have it up again in the new year.

Some help here - http://www.elekm.net/zeiss/repair/start.html

Also try Mr Rick Oleson who probably has some tech note sketches.

Top deck - easy but too many steps for me to go through here. What's wrong with the rangefinder?

Shutter cover - 4 visible screws (some may be sized differently so keep track), one screw accessible thru the hole where the rewind button pushes the sprocket release. Its easy to lose that screw so use a magnetized screwdriver if possible. Once they are off, you have to wiggle it down and out. It will probably break the black string light seal when you do, but if you pull the top plate to do the rangefinder, you can easily replace this seal anyway, which you should because they often leak.

A nicely serviced Kiev is nearly as good as a prewar Contax in my opinion :) They are certainly good practice to work on before taking on the more expensive camera.

http://www3.sympatico.ca/mskovacs/pv/Triotar.jpg

fabrice c

Posted on Friday, December 23, 2005 - 10:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

geee, thanks for your quick and cheerfull answer, that kiev was driving me mad, and I only got him for 2 days ;-)

THe rangefinder, to answer your question, is advancing by "pops" instead of smoothly, and if I fix it on infinity, it's loose at near focus, and "vice-versa" !

The shutter curtains are lazy at low speed, and the first one doesn't follow the second accurately while winding, so there's sometimes a light leak, sometimes not ... grrr !

Mike Kovacs

Posted on Friday, December 23, 2005 - 10:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does the image move when you shake the camera? There is a prism in there that sometimes breaks loose from its mount.

You can recement it, but extreme care is involved to get the vertical alignment correct. One of the tougher jobs to do on the prewar Contax cameras.

fabrice c

Posted on Friday, December 23, 2005 - 11:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No it isn't moving. I aimed a clean vertical item and focused on, then shooke it all to see ... But I guess the vertical alignemet needs also some fixing, the verticals in the rangefinder frame aren't exactly as vertical as expected !

By the way, I must thank you for the little screw tip ! Now the back is away and I got full access to the curtains. well, the ribbon is teared and about to let it all go ... it stays in one piece only by few !
I reckon it's the basic repair before thinking about something else on that curtain !

Mike Kovacs

Posted on Friday, December 23, 2005 - 11:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here is a piece of golden advice - don't start firing that shutter and have both ribbons break on you. It is MUCH easier to first replace one, then the other ribbon then two broken at the same time.

fabrice c

Posted on Friday, December 23, 2005 - 01:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

As far as I can see the way it works, that sounds great, you're right !
I wonder what sort of ribbon I can deal with as a replacement ?

Anyway, thanks for your advices !

Mike Kovacs

Posted on Friday, December 23, 2005 - 02:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There are several sources of the original arsenal shutter ribbons. This is probably better than any substitute

e.g., see ebay auction #7574849059. Oleg of okvintagecamera also sells it.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration