Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Yashica electro 35, film speed Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Yashica electro 35, film speed « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

WernerJB

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, December 23, 2005 - 10:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Among the cameras that did not survive my repair attempts there is a very early Yashica electro 35 (it simply says Yashica, not G Yashica, or GS, etc. on the front and the leatherette is differently patterned) with a film speed dial from ASA 25 to ASA 400. I had not expected finding a replacement camera would turn out to be so difficult. I have now several specimens with differently ranging dials from ASA 25 upwards, but obviously there is no logical correspondence between this range increasing over the time of production and higher serial numbers. Does that mean that Yashica built newer cameras with a smaller film sensitivity range, in other words did progress go backwards ? Would it be possible to simply swap parts to "create" another "old" electro ?? (I won't do that, but it is interesting to know !) Thanks for responding, W.

Dorian

Posted on Friday, December 23, 2005 - 08:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There were many, many external and internal changes in the Electro 35 over the years. There were also changes in the country where they were made. You will find different 'Made In' inscriptions. I would not attempt to cannibalize parts unless you know they are compatible. Don't assume serial numbers have any logical meaning. In my experience this is one of the cameras that almost never works (having bought many of them), I'd cross it off your buying list. There are many cameras that have stood the test of time better and dont require such an oddball battery.

charlie

Posted on Saturday, December 24, 2005 - 07:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have only bought one, a GSN for $10.00. It was DOA but after replacing one wire it is running fine. It a very sensitive light measuring and exposure system and will make timed exposures in very low light. Other than that it is bigger and heavier than I would normally like to carry.

WernerJB

Posted on Sunday, December 25, 2005 - 03:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dorian wrote "Don't assume serial numbers have any logical meaning." Of course, I don't, but what sense do these so-called serial numbers really make, if the do not signify any listing or documentary evidence ?

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration