Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Praktica MTL3 missing film speed dial... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Praktica MTL3 missing film speed dial, anther is jammed « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Steve

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, December 23, 2005 - 08:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a couple of Praktica MTL3's. The first is missing the film speed dial knob. The actual mech is still on the camera. How can I test the camera to see if it still works? How about the film speed settings?

The second MTL3( that I was going to use for parts) doesn't advance the film.-otherwise it is in very good shape.

If I could find a replacement film speed knob, I might be able to fix both cameras.
Is there anyone that has a spare film speed knob assembly for a Praktica MTL3 that they'd sell me? I'm in the U.S. It shouldn't cost too much to mail it out though.

Thanks,
Steve

Rob

Posted on Sunday, January 08, 2006 - 08:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Others have posted possible repairs for the jammed film advance. Pull the lens out, and see if a small squarish tab can be released in the upper left corner (looking in). Personally, I have a Praktica Super TL which doesn't have the same shutter.

george welcher

Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2006 - 10:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't have a spare speed dial, but I recently removed and replaced one from an MTL5, which are very similar. When you do find one (probably by buying yet another MTL3 junker for parts) you will of course need to set both shutter speed and ASA. There is a geared or toothed wheel at the top of the shutter speed selector which locks into matching teeth on the shutter speed dial. If you rotate it counter clockwise all the way until it stops, the shutter speed will be set to 1/1000 sec. Turn it one click clockwise and it's set to 1/500 sec, and so on.

Setting the film speed is a bit more tricky. This is set by rotating a metal tang which protrudes from the top of the shutter speed selector You could disassemble the other camera's dial, after first recording settings, and set the first one to match. Positioning the dial and speed scale takes a bit of trial and error.

There is an article elsewhere on this site describing MTL3 dissassembly, including shutter speed dial:
{https://kyp.hauslendale.com/classics/prakticanotes.html} I also have a photo showing the tang position at ASA 100, if that would be of use to you. Email me and I'll send it to you.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration