Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Konica Hexanon AR 50mm 1.7: taking ap... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Konica Hexanon AR 50mm 1.7: taking apart tips « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jano

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, December 27, 2005 - 10:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello,

I've two 50mm f1.7 that need some care.

* One needs to be cleaned. Dust and dirt on the interior elements.
* The other needs some oil on the blades.

I'd like to know how to take apart these lenses? Could anyone give me some general tips?
I've searched the archives (konicalsr yahoo group and rangefinderforum.com) on this topic with no success.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Alejandro.

Haig Hovaness

Posted on Tuesday, December 27, 2005 - 01:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

For the cleaning you want to do, all that is required is to unscrew the nameplate from the front of the lens with a rubber tool, then unscrew the front element group.

Presumably, you meant to say you want to remove oil from the diaphragm blades. Putting oil on the blades would make them stick and malfunction. If you are careful, you can clean the diaphram blades with solvent and blow them dry after you have unscrewed the front element.

Lars

Posted on Wednesday, December 28, 2005 - 08:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This is a fairly straight forward lens to work on. I have however notised that there seems to be at least two versions of this lens. What I suppose is the later, contains more plastic parts, so be careful when You work on that one. I have so far not seen any of these lenses develop a diaphragm problem due to oil on the blades. Your sample may have some sort of damage due to mishandling.

Jano

Posted on Wednesday, December 28, 2005 - 11:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have cleaned the first lens succesffully. As both said, it was pretty easy to remove the 3 front elements.

Now I need to clean the oil off of the second lens diaphragm...Do i need to unscrew the diaphragm to dissassemble the 3 rear elements?

Thanks in advance.

Roberto Rossi

Posted on Wednesday, December 28, 2005 - 02:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Always remove rear elements from the rear if possible. Unless you know that the diaphragm can be removed as a complete unit, a wrong move could leave you with a heap of blades. These can be very fiddly to replace.

Jano

Posted on Wednesday, December 28, 2005 - 06:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I can't manage to disassemble the rear "group" (3 elements). Any help on this direction would be much appreciated.

There's a lot of oil on the blades (at both sides) that needs to be removed.

Jano

Posted on Thursday, December 29, 2005 - 04:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Finally, I've managed to disassemble the rear elements. Now I can access both sides of the diaphragm.

What kind of solvent should I use to remove the oil?

Thanks!

Donnie Strickland

Posted on Thursday, December 29, 2005 - 04:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Naptha, which we find most often in the
US as cigarette lighter fluid (usually under the brand name "Ronsonol").

Jano

Posted on Thursday, December 29, 2005 - 11:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Both lenses are already fixed. Great!

I disassembled the diaphragm blades completely and removed the oil with Zippo lighter fluid (naphta), a syringe and some Q-tips...now the diaphragm blades run smoothly.

Thanks to all!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration