Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Minolta Maxxum 4 rewind problem Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Minolta Maxxum 4 rewind problem « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Erica

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, December 28, 2005 - 06:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just got a Minolta Maxxum 4 for Christmas and I love it... but it won't rewind the film.

The only problem so far is that the camera will not rewind the film ! I`ve gone through the manual and followed each step. The manual claims that when the last picture is taken the film will rewind, a 0 will be displayed on the lcd screen and the film canister logo will blink when the film is done rewinding and that the back door can then be opened.

However, after I take the last picture, it makes a noise like it`s starting to rewind, and I get the 0 displayed and the blinking film canister but it doesn`t rewind the film AND the back door allows me to open it up when the film is still in the camera ! It seems that something is wrong with the camera and it`s not catching the film to rewind it.

I have loaded the film correctly because the lcd screen tells me that it`s o.k., so I don`t understand what I`m doing wrong.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated !

Help

Posted on Tuesday, January 10, 2006 - 08:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Anyone???

I was able to develop the pictures on the roll, but I have to put the camera under a blanket and manually rewind the film back into the film canister.

Glenn Middleton

Posted on Tuesday, January 10, 2006 - 10:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I would suggest that you are doing nothing wrong and it is the camera that is at fault. However do check that the 'fork' on the end of the rewind shaft that fits into the cassette spool, is complete and not broken or 'pushed upwards'. If the rewind function will work with film door open, watch for the shaft rotating and apply finger pressure to see if it stops rotating under load. If gentle finger pressure stops rotation the the rewind mechanism is shot. If mechanism seems OK, check the cassette spool is not damaged/fits properly - very unlikely, but strange things do happen.

I would guess that the rewind gears/mechanism is broken or jammed. Obviously the rewind motor is working because you can hear it. If camera is new return it to a main agent, otherwise bear in mind that as the camera is advertised on Google for $109/$149, having yours repaired might not be the cheapest option.

These cameras are too modern for this Forum to offer detailed advice on. From personal experience their construction is not suitable for first time DIY repairers.

I am sorry that I cannot give you any more advice.

Erica

Posted on Wednesday, January 18, 2006 - 11:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you for your suggestions ! I will definitely try it out. The camera is new and under warranty so I'll probably have to ship it out to the manufacturer for repair... just what I want to do with a brand new camera.

I really appreciate your help !

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration