Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

35mm SLR with rewind button that will... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » 35mm SLR with rewind button that will not depress « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Gary

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, December 28, 2005 - 05:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I received a Yashica FX-2 35mm SLR that works fine except for the rewind button function on the bottom cover. The button will not depress to allow rewinding a roll of film. Upon opening the back cover it appears that the 2 small screws in the toothed sprocket have been tampered with and one screw was removed or fell out. Any ideas on how this problem might be corrected short of a major repair? The problem was not solved by replacing the screw. Nice all manual camera but probably only has a $50 value when fully functional. I believe most 35mm SLR cameras use the same rewind button principle so this is probably not a Yashica specific problem. Any ideas?

Don

Posted on Friday, December 30, 2005 - 07:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm betting that if the screws were removed from the geared sprocket, the bottom plate was also removed. Take off the bottom plate and see if everything is in place,and they're is nothing obstructing the release button.

Gary

Posted on Friday, December 30, 2005 - 07:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I had the bottom plate off and compared it with another working FR-2. I could not see anything that might jam the rewind button. My guess is the problem is with the rewind shaft or within the geared sprocket. I did not remove top cover yet to see if the jam may have originated up there (unlikely?). Surely I'm not the first person to have a jammed rewind button. There must be a logical answer or solution.

Glenn Middleton

Posted on Saturday, December 31, 2005 - 02:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Silly thought; if both small screws were removed, is one longer than the other and in wrong position, ie is one a lock screw and the other a stop screw? Have never worked on the FX-2 so cannot really give any other thoughts on this.

Andre Emond

Posted on Wednesday, January 11, 2006 - 07:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

how does an automatic rewind camera work.

Explain the mechanism of pulling the right length of film each time and what makes it rewind at the end of the film.

pictures of mechanism would be nice

Thank you

Glenn Middleton

Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2006 - 10:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You will find plenty of articles on modern camera function in both books and on the Web. A simple explanation is that the length of film per frame is measured by gearwheels rotating to a fixed stop. The rewind function is operated by a 'torque mechanism', which can be a sophisticated clutch or just an electronic circuit that senses the higher current demand from a stalled motor at the end of film. Many modern 35mm SLR use IR diodes to count the individual sprocket holes, whilst the T90 uses an electronic counter in its function.

In the maintenance specifications for high end SLRs there is always a certain make and type of film specified to be used when setting up the transport parameters. The only camera that could fall into the Classic field if one is generous is the Canon T90 (well I find working on them in the mechanical department is no different to the A1)and the film type for testing is clearly stated.

If you want a good reference book, look up the 'T90 Performance Book' on www.canonfd.com/choose.htm
there is a very good description and 3D diagrams of the auto film transport.

More modern cameras are outside the scope of this Forum and the information is available from other sources.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration