Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Pentax ME Super: shutter fails to set Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Pentax ME Super: shutter fails to set « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Chris Webster

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, December 31, 2005 - 11:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just dug out my old (1980) ME Super to see if it is still usable. No film in it right now, but when I advance the film lever, it doesn't always re-set the shutter. Sometimes I wind it 3 or 4 times and then the shutter will release OK. Sometimes I can wind it dozens of times and still can't get the shutter to fire. A couple of times the shutter stuck up for a while. Replaced the batteries, but problem still there. Probably just dirt in the mechanism (I hope), but any idea where I should start looking or how to fix this?

Thanks!
Chris
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Stuart Willis

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, January 07, 2006 - 07:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Chris - as many on this forum will attest (including Henry) - the mirror-box mechanisms on these models were during production lubed with that awful white lithium grease. Given 40 years of all sorts of temperature and humity conditions it is not unusual for such grease to now manifest as though Five Minute Araldite at the three minute stage. Very stiff and sticky!

There are also four black rubber bush buffers within that mechanism- and they too are inevitable deteriorated to black sticky gunk . Replacements are made by cutting washer-slices off model aircraft engine neoprene or silicon fuel tube. (Make sure you get the tubing with the appropriate bore diameter)

To address all of these things the mirror-box has to be pulled.
It is "doable" but it is tricky on the ME Super and not a task to be embraced by one without experience of the job. There are some pitfalls and you could end up with a box of scrap :-(

I would recommend you entrust the work to someone who is experienced on the ME Super.

Best

Stuart

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration