Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Olympus shutter and meter problems Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Olympus shutter and meter problems « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Peter Frederick

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, January 01, 2004 - 06:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've got a couple of Olympus SLRs I got for cheap on eBay I need some assistance with.

First on is an OM2n with a funky shutter. When I first got it, it worked fine in spite of being sold "as is" and unreliable. Shortly after that, the opening shutter curtain became erratic and it repeatedly jammed. Repair shop wanted too much to fix it (gear train problems), so I shelved it for a while and just started messing about with it again. Part of the problem became obvious this time when I took the bottom cover off to unjam it (working the winding gears back and forth would free it up) when an "extra" screw fell out. Now, the first curtain does not move when winding, so I assume the screw is the one that holds the winding shaft to the drum the strings wind on. Problem is, how far down to I have to disassemble to put it back in? I've got the manuals from olympus.dementia, but they are only partially helpful as yet -- too hard to read for starters. Suggestions appreciated. I don't doubt I can do this, but need some pointers.

#2 is an OM4 with a good bash on the right side. Wind lever has to be loose to wind, but the real problem is that the meter now only works when the camera is fired, won't come on with a light touch as it is supposed to, and none of the meter function buttons work. Else works fine. I'm suspecting that the CB is loose under the cover so that the buttons aren't closing the switches. If this is the case, I'm going to warm up the soldering iron, remove the cover, and straighten it and re-install. Or should I expect to have to find the CB in the cover and replace it, too?

Peter

rick oleson

Posted on Friday, January 02, 2004 - 02:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There is indeed a screw that holds the drum onto the spindle, right in the middle... if the screw's come out, ithink there might be some other parts floating around in there too. I haven't gone into the OM2 to this depth, but from other models I think you'll have to take the mirror box off to reach this. Once that's off, the spindles should be exposed to the front.

don't know about the OM4, i guess you'll have to go inside and find out...

:)=

Peter Frederick

Posted on Friday, January 02, 2004 - 03:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Rick:

About what I expected. Too much to hope that there is an access port just to reach the shutter. If I read the diagrams right, the only thing that came loose is the screw, it goes through the drum and into the winding shaft -- OM2 shutter is identical to the OM1 except for the electromagnetic second shutter curtain release.

Some winter day I'll strip down the OM4 -- I think I can flatten the top well enough to avoid a new one.

Thanks!

Peter

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration