Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Disassembling an old tessar rear element Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Disassembling an old tessar rear element « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jani Heikkinen

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, January 02, 2004 - 06:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi!

How can one remove the cemented lense doublet from the old brass ring around it? The lens dates around 1910-1920. I would like to have the rear element disassembled without braking the lenses or the brass ring.

rick oleson

Posted on Friday, January 02, 2004 - 10:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

here are some notes by the late Steve Grimes on the subject.... he was probably about as good as anybody at this sort of thing. Unfortunately, he did cut the brass ring.

http://www.skgrimes.com/popsci/burnish/index.htm

He also includes a copy of an old article suggesting that the ring can be safely opened with a knife blade, but he sounds very dubious about its chances of success:

http://www.skgrimes.com/popsci/pops/index.htm

:)=

Jani Heikkinen

Posted on Saturday, March 13, 2004 - 07:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the links...It took me a while to think how to do it and I ended up trying the method with the knife blade. What most likely was missing from the old article was that you have to cut away or remove a couple of mm of the bent part of the rim as to break the circle. After this I used a small hobby knife and bended the edges of the rim upwards. In the end the lens came out with a light push with one finger.
During the process I protected the glass surfaces with scotch tape and used a piece of cardboard over the tape to protect lens from the knife blade. But still it wasn't easy...

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration