Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Yashica MAT 124G winding issues Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Yashica MAT 124G winding issues « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Sean OKeefe

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, January 05, 2004 - 09:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all,
I have a Yashica Mat 124G that has winding issues. It will partially wind then lock (both directions) randomly. I can press the shutter which does not open the shutter as it has not yet been cocked and it will wind through the remaining cycle (less rotation now since some of the winding has already occurred). The film is not exposed a second time when this happens so it can be lived with, but we all want to fix these annoying issues.

I have the exploded parts diagram and plan to lubricate the winding gears & linkages as it has the coffee grinder sound (My other 124Gs wound fairly smoothly). But I am wondering if the winding problem is due to a sticky winder stop - doesn't seem top be a blockage in the gears.

Anybody have the same problem?

Ciao
Sean

Richard Clarke

Posted on Tuesday, January 06, 2004 - 08:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi- You might try looking at the shutter release button, and the cable release sleeve inside the shutter release button. I had a 124, where the cable release sleeve, seperated from the shutter relase and would bounce around on the wind side of the camera, sometimes it got caught up in the winding mechanism

good luck

rick oleson

Posted on Wednesday, January 07, 2004 - 07:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have seen a Mat 124 with the wind linkage so worn that it would no longer cock the shutter all the way, in a camera that looked almost mint. but that one didn't lock up, just didn't get the shutter cocked....

philip lemon

Posted on Saturday, March 19, 2005 - 01:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Folks - I recently bought another 124G on Ebay which was advertised as "Very, Very Good". When received, it appeared good, with no winding problems, until film was added. Like Sean, the winding locked up. Did Sean find out what was causing the winding problem? Any other suggestions before I head to the repair shop?

R.J.

Posted on Monday, September 26, 2005 - 10:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It sounds like the double exposure prevention mechanism is stuck. It just needs to be cleaned and re-lubed. It's on the same side as the lever that cocks the shutter. I've seen people force the film advance lever and do more damage. You can get to it by removing the front panel. I don't think you have to remove the side panel if I remember correctly.
R.J.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration