Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Fixing creased shutter blades Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Fixing creased shutter blades « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Richard Clarke

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, January 05, 2004 - 11:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all-I have several Nikons that I purchased with "creased shutter blades" When I received these, some of the blades were out of their track. I was able to fix this, and the camera does function, test roll pics came out fine. My question is - Does anyone have any tips for srtaightening shutter blades? Does anyone know the metal type? 300 series SS? Any help would be appreciated

thanks

rick oleson

Posted on Monday, January 05, 2004 - 02:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have straightened one or two blades, I think from a Konica (and also one from a Minox, the same way). Place the bent blade on a smooth, flat metal surface and hold it by one end. Take a smooth metal burnisher (the back of a teaspoon works) and rub the blade firmly against the metal surface with smooth strokes away from teh end you're holding down. This will work out hte wrinkles and leave you with a blade that's curved instead of straight. Flip it over and do the same thing to the other side until it's straight again. I think I have some pics if you'd like to see them...

:)=

Peter Wallage

Posted on Monday, January 05, 2004 - 05:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Good tip, Rick. It reminds me of straightening the creases out of aluminium foil when I used to make model planes years ago. BTW, and slightly OT, if anyone needs to straighten soft wire - soft iron, brass or copper - grip one end in the vice, wrap the other end round the jaws of a pair of pliers and pull hard. Once you feel the wire 'give', stop. It leaves the wire perfectly straight.

rick oleson

Posted on Tuesday, January 06, 2004 - 06:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Drifting off topic a bit here, but another way to straighten wire is to chuck one end in a drill and give it a couple of turns as you pull gently (the other end being in a vise as you describe, Peter). Works for wires that are too stiff to straighten by a straight pull....

rick :)=

richard clarke

Posted on Thursday, January 08, 2004 - 09:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all - thanks for the comments. I found some metal working tools at Hobby Lobby, basically these are steel wires with a sphere on the end in a wood handle. Using my finger as a backup, I has able to improve the flatness of the shutter blades working with this tool

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration