Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Opening Back Panel without Film Rewin... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Opening Back Panel without Film Rewind Crank for Canon FTb « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Brian Pasquini

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, January 08, 2004 - 11:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi. I recently was tinkering with my friends old Canon FTb (also has QL on front panel) and resolved a self-timer problem, thanks to a previous thread in this forum!; however, I found an entirely new problem when the Back Panel closed while the Film Rewind Crank was taken out. Now I don't know how to open the back panel to load film. Does anyone have any ideas?

I already tried making a piece of metal to release the back panel by lifting up from inside the film chamber but I'm not even sure thats how the switch works. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

David Ritchie

Posted on Thursday, January 08, 2004 - 03:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I had a similar situation with an olympus SLR. I took a piece of wire from a coat hanger, in this case the type they use for shirts at the laundry, and bent a tiny bit of the wire back on itself. the piece I bent back was maybe 1/8" long and tightly squeezed against the rest of the wire with a pair of pliars. I then inserted this into the hole for the rewind shaft, letting the turned up wire catch on the back release. It sounds like you were on the right track, but maybe grabbing part of the camera body instead of just the release.Good luck

Brian

Posted on Thursday, January 08, 2004 - 08:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just tried that for another hour or so and no luck. I'm assuming that the switch to release the back panel needs to be pulled upward?

Thanks

Brian

Posted on Thursday, January 08, 2004 - 08:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ha. After hours of frustration I get it in the 30 seconds after I give up!!! Thanks for the advice/encouragement.

David Ritchie

Posted on Friday, January 09, 2004 - 05:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Glad to hear you got it open. In my case I was able to remove the back until I was able to replace the rewind knob thus assuring that it did not happen again.

Curt Saxton

Posted on Friday, January 09, 2004 - 06:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've done the same and used the wife's darning needle to open the camera again. Maybe a hint for next time? Glad you got it open. Curt in Canada

Brian Pasquini

Posted on Wednesday, January 14, 2004 - 12:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks guys. I loaded some film in it the other day and took a couple snaps. I can't wait to get my very first roll of film developed. I have a digital camera that I've been using for a few years and really like taking pictures. When my girlfriend told me she had a jammed old canon it was better than the real christmas present she got me. shhhh! don't tell.

Its great to know theres such a lively forum out there.

Vishal

Posted on Thursday, February 26, 2004 - 08:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello Guys..
I am facing a similar kind of problem.
I opened the back panel with the film inside the camera.I was somehow able to get the film out of camera,but now my Film advance lever has got stuck.I am not able to load the film in the camera.Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Daniel Powis

Posted on Monday, December 06, 2004 - 04:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,

for FTb cameras, if back is closed with rewind knob taken out (this happened to me), unscrew bottom plate and press gray-black button on take-up side. Works!

amanda

Posted on Saturday, February 05, 2005 - 02:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i'm using my dad's old ftb and i don't know how to load the film. i'm at college and i need to use it for an assignment. help!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration