Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Adjusting the mirror on Mamiya C330f TLR Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Adjusting the mirror on Mamiya C330f TLR « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Deen Hameed

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, January 11, 2004 - 03:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I (re)moved the mirror on my olde Mamiya C330f TLR while trying to get the gunk off it, without realising that it was shimmed into position...

Now I have no focus... :'(

Does anyone have a step-by-step procedure for reseating the mirror, and adjusting the focus for this camera? I am a newbie to the TLR and camera repairs, but I'm reasonable bright (so my mum says), and it doesn't seem too complicated (only I don't wanna make things worse)...

Deen

Jim Brokaw

Posted on Sunday, January 11, 2004 - 11:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm not familiar with the C330f TLR, but you should be able to adjust the focus screen to set the focus as well as shimming the mirror. One important thing I believe is that the mirror must be at exactly 45-degrees angle. It seems like shims might risk getting than angle changed if they were not exactly uniform. I know fixed lens TLR's usually have means of adjusting the focus of the viewing lens to conform to the in-focus point of the taking lens. I don't know if Mamiya interchangable lens pieces have a similar adjustment, though it seems like they should.

paul ron

Posted on Monday, January 12, 2004 - 03:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

http://205.197.82.147/webx?14@89.bhbLacCJi8K.3@.ee707e6

Check out the Mamiya site, TLR link address above, which is the TLR forums of Older Mamiyas and ask there. A TLR guru named Han can help you.

rick oleson

Posted on Monday, January 12, 2004 - 09:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you're going to use any other lenses on it, you don't want to correct a mirror error by readjusting the viewing lens (though it is possible to do that) because then the lens won't be right on other cameras and the camera won't be right with other lenses.

If you haven't lost any of the shims, you are probably faced with a trial-and-error process to find which combination of locations of the shims gives you accurate focus.

You can determine whether your infinity focus is correct by variations on the procedure shown here: http://rick_oleson.tripod.com/index-123.html . Verify that the taking lens is at infinity first and lock it down, then adjust the shims under your mirror until the focusing screen comes up correct.

rick :)=

Ed

Posted on Tuesday, January 13, 2004 - 04:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't rememer any shims under the mirror, but I do remember some under the frame the ground glass is in. Rick is right, don't change the lens unless you are certain it is off. Yu could chec,k on another camera if you can find one.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration