Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Contaflex Camera Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Contaflex Camera « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Krystle

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, January 14, 2004 - 04:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey, I have a very old, I would say more than 25 years old manual Contaflex camera, to give you an idea the light meter is not battery operated! It is still in working condition except that when I make prints no matter how focused it looks when they come out they are a little out of focus. Is it worth bringing it to get fixed or what could be the problem?

Jan Dvorak

Posted on Wednesday, January 14, 2004 - 07:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am assuming that your photo lab is not to be blamed for unsharp prints - that could be one possibility.....
If the image in the finder looks sharp and your results are not, culprit is probably a misaligned mirror in the camera. Another posibility is camera shake during exposure - the Contaflex has a fairly stiff release and speeds longer than 1/30s should be used with a proper support, i.e. a tripod.
Should the mirror prove to be the problem, any competent camera repair establishment should be able to fix it. Cost of the repair might be higher than the value of the camera though.

Good luck,

Jan

Jon Goodman

Posted on Wednesday, January 14, 2004 - 08:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'll bet a hamburger the aperture is sticky in your Contaflex. Here is the truth about this camera...The shutter can still work fine, but if the aperture is sticky, the shots will all be bad. Why? The design of this camera is that the aperture is supposed to complete its work before the shutter ever opens. If it is sticky (very common), the aperture is still trying to close after the shutter is finished with its work. So, you get this blurry effect...particularly the edges. The aperture blades are moving while the picture is being taken. May look like a halo effect or something, but the pictures will not be sharp. Service will not be cheap, but if you want to sell it, please feel free to contact me directly.
Jon

Marco

Posted on Thursday, January 15, 2004 - 07:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Try this:

Set the Speed to 1 Sec. and aperture to f22.0.
Wind, Look at the lens and snap away. You will hear the escapement mechanism for about 1sec then the shutter will close.

Does the shutter close instantly after the shot or does it lazily close?

rick oleson

Posted on Friday, January 16, 2004 - 02:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a Contaflex Prima, in which the mirror does not return to the same position twice in a row when I wind it.... resulting in incorrect focus at least half of the time. I have been meaning to take it apart and find out just what it's doing wrong, but I have not yet done it...

rick :(=

Greg Dejanovic

Posted on Sunday, February 15, 2004 - 10:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I would like to put my 5 cent in. A year ago I needed a totally manual camera ,winters are cold and take a toll on bateries .So I ended buying a Zeis Contaflex which is about 1950`s, no meter . I experienced the same problem the shuter running slow . So I called Z-V Service in NC. He could not give me an estimate over the phone after I mailed my camera he cleaned it and adjusted for $160 .Maibe abit much but when I got it back it was smooth as silk and prints are sharper and contrastier then my EOS . Just something to ponder on.(His number is 252 249 3924 )

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration