Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Pentacon 4/200 lens not focussing? Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Pentacon 4/200 lens not focussing? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Matthew Padden

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, January 14, 2004 - 04:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi folks,

I have a Pentacon 4/200 lens that seems to be stuck at a focus of about 10cm. If I turn the focus ring the lens barrel extends and retracts as expected, but there's no change in the image as seen through the lens. Aperture ring and leaves seem to be fine. Can anyone shed any light [sic]?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Matt
Glasgow, UK

Jan Dvorak

Posted on Wednesday, January 14, 2004 - 07:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Matt,

If the lens extends and retracts as it should (and is otherwise in original condition), I don't see a reason why it would not focus past 10cm. As a matter of fact, the minimum focusing distance of this lens should be about 2 to 2.5 meters. That leads me to believe that the lens was tampered with and not put together properly. I am assuming that this is a lens in an M-42 thread mount or Praktica bayonet mount - are you using it on the proper body?

Good luck,

Jan

Matthew Padden

Posted on Thursday, January 15, 2004 - 03:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Jan,

Thanks for your thoughts. All my tests have been done with the lens off the camera. The lens does mate to the M-42 thread on my Zenit EM camera. There are no obvious signs of tampering or forced entry to the lens, and no suggestion of anything loose inside. The aperture leaves open and close normally as the aperture ring is turned, and the aperture limiter is also working (lifting the aperture ring allows the usable aperture range to be restricted), but the focus ring has no effect apart from to extend/retract the barrel. I agree that the current focussing distance is far shorter than would be expected.

Many thanks in advance for any advice
Matt
Glasgow, UK

Jan Dvorak

Posted on Thursday, January 15, 2004 - 10:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Matt,

Some more thoughts:

1) Front or rear lens elements re-installed the wrong way round.
2) Don't be offended by this - an extension tube or close-up lens attached to the lens. I am assuming that other lenses focus correctly on this camera.

Other than that, I am stumped.

All the best,
Jan
Vancouver, BC

Matthew Padden

Posted on Thursday, January 15, 2004 - 02:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Jan,

Oops; guess I owe myself a big 'duh'... I was doing all these tests with the lens OFF the camera. With the lens ON the camera, the focus works fine. Saves me worrying about opening the lens up at least.

Matt
Glasgow, UK

Jan Dvorak

Posted on Thursday, January 15, 2004 - 04:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Matt,

An obvious question pops to mind: If you tested the lens OFF the camera, how did you know that the closest focusing distance was 10mm?

All the best,

Jan

Matthew Padden

Posted on Saturday, January 17, 2004 - 04:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Jan,

My 10cm figure was estimated by measuring from the front of the lens to the nearest clearly focussed object. Not exactly scientific or even accurate.

Matt

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration