Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Kiron 28-105 infinity adjustment Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Kiron 28-105 infinity adjustment « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

M. Currie

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, January 16, 2004 - 01:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a Kiron 28-105 Macro varifocal lens (in Konica mount if that matters) that won't focus to infinity. I can see no sign of damage. I saw an article on adjusting a different Kiron zoom, but it didn't match mine. Any lens gurus out there who can tell me how to do this?

Henry

Posted on Friday, January 16, 2004 - 07:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The theory is still the same. Only the mechanics of adjustment are different.

Henry

M. Currie

Posted on Saturday, January 17, 2004 - 04:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the response. I realize the theory is the same, but was hoping for a less experimental way of finding out exactly which screws to loosen first, because there is no macro ring on this one. Although adjusting it at 105 is pretty simple, I'm not sure which part to loosen to adjust the wide-angle end, or even whether that needs to be done in this case.

Henry

Posted on Saturday, January 17, 2004 - 05:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Looked on my shelves and at the moment I have no 28-105 Kiron to jog my memory. But I think it is built like the 28-85 Kiron. If so then the infinity focus is set via shims. Have you had this lens apart already?

Reason I ask is that on shim adjusted lenses often internal components are set by micrometer measurements. If something was disassembled that affected the overal internal glass location, this could be your problem. (I know I've done this more than once and had a heck of a time using trial and error methods of positioning.) Looked in my service manuals and I have one for the 28-85 but not the 28-105. But if you think it'll help I could send it via AIM or ICQ. It is about 3 megs.

Matthew Currie

Posted on Saturday, January 17, 2004 - 05:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Henry, I haven't had the lens apart (and hope not to have to) but did find that after loosening some screws on the focusing ring and turning it a little, it now goes to infinity. I doubt very much that the lens has been apart before. There was no sign of the screws having ever been touched. I might have done it wrong, but it seems to work. Of course a service manual would be great anyway, as I would be able to see how my lens resembles the 28-85. I have never used AIM or ICQ, but I have a fast connection, so an email attachment would suit me fine if you can do it that way.

Matthew Currie

Posted on Saturday, January 17, 2004 - 09:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wow, you're fast! The attachment came through fine, and the lens in question certainly looks very much like the one I have except for the focal length. A quick look at the front element shows that a shim is there, leaving me wondering why adjusting the focus ring seemed to work, and whether I should try any further remedies or settle for what I have. At least now I have some guidance on disassembly if I decide to go deeper.

Anyway, many thanks for your help!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration