Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Zenit EM rewind knob/cassette spindle... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Zenit EM rewind knob/cassette spindle loose? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Matthew Padden

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, January 17, 2004 - 08:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi folks,

The film rewind knob and cassette retaining spindle on my Zenit EM camera slides freely in and out with film loaded. By this I mean the whole spindle, as you'd lift out of the way when loading a new film. The sprung extension for rewinding the film works properly, but I'd have thought the spindle should remain in place with a film loaded unless it's intentionally pulled up. Can anyone supply any advice?

Thanks in advance
Matt
Glasgow, UK

Jon Goodman

Posted on Saturday, January 17, 2004 - 01:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, Matt.
The shaft is held in place by a spring which rides in a slot in the sleeve the shaft rides in. Wow...I think I've butchered several grammar rules with one swoop. My childhood teachers would be so proud. As I recall, some Zenits may have simply had the sleeve crimped slightly to hold the shaft, however this could have been the result of some prior owner trying to remedy the same problem you've found. Also, I want to say some had a simple plastic collar that sat atop the sleeve to hold the shaft in place. You'll need to remove the top plate and take a look. If you've never done this, it isn't hard. Here's a website that may have some tips, and you can contact Tom for other help as well. If you need a spare part, I think I have a box of misc ones.

http://www.xs4all.nl/~tomtiger/

Good luck,
Jon

Matthew Padden

Posted on Thursday, January 22, 2004 - 06:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Jon,

Many thanks for the advice, and the disassembly website link. I'll check out the shaft/sleeve/shaft when I reach the end of the current reel of film. I may come back to you about those spare parts!

Kind regards,
Matt
Glasgow, UK

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration