Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Zorki 4k film wind lever removal Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Zorki 4k film wind lever removal « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

JW de Leeuw

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, January 17, 2004 - 12:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I need to open my Zorki 4k to access the shutter and slowspeed dial - but unfortunately I cannot seem to remove the film wind lever (last element to be removed before I can take the top off).

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Jon Goodman

Posted on Saturday, January 17, 2004 - 01:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Try the tips at Rick Oleson's site:http://members.tripod.com/rick_oleson/index-58.html

Jon

rick oleson

Posted on Saturday, January 17, 2004 - 10:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Actually, I don't think I have notes on the 4K wind lever at that page. I do have sme notes on it, though, which I can't find at the moment.... I think this means that they're on my computer at work.

If you haven't got this figured out by Monday, please email me and I'll find them and send them to you. And while I'm at it, I'll add them to the Zorki page.....

rick :)=

John Cribbin

Posted on Tuesday, January 20, 2004 - 01:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi JW,

Firstly, I will apologise for the following text, I saved it from the net at some stage and have no idea who to credit. The answer was to a different problm, but contains the solution to yours. I have not had to use it yet so I can't vouch for it's accuracy, but it appears viable. I am posting the whole text as I don't feel it appropriate to edit someone elses work.

Hope it helps

John

Zorki 4K Wind on Lever Removal

Well, it's not very difficult but, because there is a coil spring involved, it calls for a bit of caution: protect your eyes! Before starting, ensure that the shutter is cocked.

1) Remove the counter dial and put it aside with the star shaped washer.

2) The round nut with two holes must be unscrewed CLOCKWISE. You need a proper tool to do this. Beware that the nut hold in place the shaft of the take-up spool. Once removed the nut, the spool can be taken out.

3) Now you see three screws and a small slot. Insert a piece of strong wire in the slot BEFORE removing the screws. This wire is needed to avoid the abrupt uncoiling of the spring that lies underneath.

4) Remove carefully the screws. Before removing the third one, hold the wire. You can lift out the crank and the chrome ring with the holes in it.

5) Slowly let the spring uncoil, driving it with the wire. Now you can remove the top cover (3 screws).

6) It's better take out the spring unit, unhooking the terminal from the post, and put it aside.

7) Now you see that the small rangefinder window is round. It's wedge- shaped and, to correct the vertical alignment, it must be turned slightly. But the thread of the wedge is almost certainly set in shellac glue. You must dissolve it with a piece of cotton moisten with alcohol (10-15 min. should do).

8) To reassemble, you must coil gently the spring in his housing and put it back in one go, hooking the terminal to the post, then reinsert the wire to hold it in place and carefully replace the top, at least the uppermost screw, the ring, the crank and the 3 screws.

9) once reassembled all the bits, try the shutter. If the curtains don't go all the way try to cock the shutter with your thumb on the sprocket inside the camera, until it clicks. I hope this can help!

10) But, trust me, if the vertical misalignment is not too much, it's better leave it alone.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration