Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Canon FT meter adjustment? Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Canon FT meter adjustment? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Michael Sayer

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, January 18, 2004 - 02:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Picked up a Canon FT and have it cleaned up and working but the meter is way off. What my other known good camera meters at a shutter speed of say 30, the FT calls for 125! I have had it open but don't see an obvious way to adjust the meter,

Anyone have experience with this meter?

Also the foam strips on the mounting bracket for the prism ate through the mirroring in a couple of spots as it degraded, anyone know where I can get a replacement prism, or get this one re-mirrored, or should I be looking for a donor camera?

Thanks in advance!

Ezio

Posted on Tuesday, January 20, 2004 - 08:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A simple way around the meter problem (although by no means a proper repair or adjustement) is to play around with the film sensitivity setting dial. If the meter suggests much too short times for a given aperture, then you can obtain a rather accurate reading by setting the dial for a lower sensitivity than you are actually using. I means: if you are using a 200 ASA film and the meter says 1/125 when it should be 1/30, then setting the sensitivity at 50 ASA will produce the correct 1/30 reading. Of course this is makeshift, but it works.

David Burton

Posted on Friday, February 13, 2004 - 07:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

When the top cover is off, there are two variable resistors just to the left of the viewfinder lens if you are looking at the back of the camera. The resistor on the left will adjust the lightmeter sensitivity. The resistor on the right will adjust the needle position during battery check. You adjust a resistor by rotating the center pointer on its axis so that it touches a different location on the circular contact surface that it rests on. I recommend cleaning the circular contact surface with a Q-tip & contact cleaner first.

Finding the correct setting is a trial and error process. Compare FT meter readings of a gray paper surface with readings from a reliable source. I take it that you are metering with the lens aperture stopped down. This should get you reasonably close provided there are not other problems.

Rolfe Hunt

Posted on Friday, December 02, 2005 - 06:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I had an FT years ago and just bought a used one. The meter is active all the time. If I recall correctly, it should lie at the bottom until shutter release is pressed half-way down. True?

Also, can someone remind me how to use battery check. I think set ASA 100 a use the check switch on top left. When I do that, this needle pegs high. Should it not center?

Thanks,
Rolfe

Rolfe Hunt

Posted on Saturday, December 03, 2005 - 05:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Other materials jogged my memory that the self timer switch pushed toward the lens activates the light meter. Switch moves properly in both directions (stop down and self timer) but the meter is on all the time regardless of switch position. This must be a rather simple circuit but getting access must require removing front cover - top cover? Both? Has anyone run into this before? I have the circuit diagram for FTb. Switches are a little different than FT but must be basically the same circuit.

Rolfe Hunt

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration