Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Dare I try to lubricate a Zeiss Plana... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Dare I try to lubricate a Zeiss Planar lens for my Rolleiflex SL35? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Bruce Ammerman

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, January 19, 2004 - 08:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The 50mm Zeiss Planar lens on my Rolleiflex SL35 is so stiff that it is essentially unusable, and presumably needs cleaning and lubrication. It's a terrifically sharp lens and is worth the trouble and expense of getting back into shape (if I can afford it). My question is -- and I know NOTHING about lens innards -- should I attempt this at all? Even typing this out, I know what the answer will be: No, find a qualified repair person. Okay, what should I expect to pay a professional to clean/lubricate this lens, if I could find someone to take it on? Thanks.

rick oleson

Posted on Monday, January 19, 2004 - 10:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Bruce:

I'm afraid I can't help a lot with cost, but you should be able to get an estimate on it. If I were doing it, you'd probably be looking at something around $50... but I have no idea really what a typical service would charge.

Since you're really fond of the lens, I would encourage you to have it professionally done rather than try it yourself, unless it's just out of the question.... the first things you learn on should be items that you consider expendable.

rick :)=

Annabel

Posted on Wednesday, May 31, 2006 - 10:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

found a rolleiflex planar in an antique shop in india and am test driving it for a week. the lenses appear to be full of fungus, on the inner side of the lens. fungus often seems to be fatal. what is your advice?

Winfried

Posted on Thursday, June 01, 2006 - 07:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Disassemble the lens until you have access to all surfaces with fungus. Try to wipe them with a microfibre cloth first. These tissues sometimes do magic if there is only a slight layer of haze/fungus.

Other methods to remove fungus can be found searching the archive.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration