Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

PRONTOR SVS SHUTTER DISASSEMBLY FROM ... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » PRONTOR SVS SHUTTER DISASSEMBLY FROM POLAROID 110 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Third Eye

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, January 22, 2004 - 05:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Some where, I can not find it after the crash, I had posted a message for help with the disassembly of a PRONTOR SVS shutter on a Rodenstock lens from a Polaroid 110 series camera. This is practice for me but if I can save the lens & shutter great. I am down to the point where i need to remove the black cover on the back and it seems to be hung up around the area of the EV setting gear. I can lift the cover up a bit but it's hingeing on something in the area. Any clue would be appreciated. This lens is bound for another life if I can fix it. Oh!, all the shutter blades fell out ... is there any trick to putting them back?

Thanks in advance

Dan Mitchell

Posted on Friday, January 23, 2004 - 10:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

On the Prontor shutters you often have to rotate the aperture control to one position, remove the screws you see, then rotate to another position to uncover the remaining screw. Another possibility is that the flash connector can block the two halves. You have to tilt and rotate the outer base slightly.

When installing the blades, first, don't touch them with your fingers. I use non-magnetic tweezer and toothpick. Make sure the blades are properly seated and in the proper order. If you get them going in the wrong direction the blades bind and can get bent. This may help:

http://daniel.mitchell.name/cameras/prontor/prontor.html

Winfried

Posted on Friday, January 23, 2004 - 01:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Another trap with the ProntorS/SV/SVS shutters is the tiny closing spring which rests in a niche between the escapement and the self timer gears. It is held in place by the protruding part of one of the screws holding the aperture assembly to the shutter mechanism and will fall off when removing this screw. Re-inserting this spring correctly is a real pain. - I just see that you mentioned this on your great shutter page.

BTW I saw on some Prontor shutters that there are washers under the screw heads the shutter blades are pivoting around, and sometimes the washer is missing on one of the screws. Up to now, I inserted the first blade where the washer is missing, so it that there will be enough room for the other blades to 'stack'. Is it this what you mean by inserting them in the right order?

On most Prontor shutters all these screw heads have washers, so I think it does not matter in which order you insert them.

Dan Mitchell

Posted on Friday, January 23, 2004 - 04:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Winfried, what I mean by right order is that the blades have to overlap in the right direction. They are installed moving clockwise when looking from the back. I've made the mistake of putting them on counter-clockwise, and it causes the blades to jam. :(

I've often wondered if there is a "first-blade" since it doesn't seem to matter which goes on first. I just try to put them back the way they were put on at the factory.

Winfried

Posted on Saturday, January 24, 2004 - 02:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, this makes sense, although I think with a bit of thought you can't place the blades wrong. At least I never managed to.

I mentioned in a different thread many months ago that there are some Copal shutters having a sixth blade which is placed on top of the blades in the same location as the blade placed first. This can be seen in the exploded view of the Canonet QL17 shutter in the repair manual section. As Stuart Willis stated in his repair article about the Yashica Minister, this sixth blade seems to be useless and sometimes even annoying.

David Nebenzahl

Posted on Saturday, January 24, 2004 - 05:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ah, yes, the old "sixth blade" (kinda sounds like the Third Man, eh?).

I've recently run across them in three shutters: the Kodak 35 rangefinder, a Pronto (w/75mm Westar), and a Japanese press shutter behind a Tominon copy lens (not a Copal but an apparent clone).

Were these "extra" blades put there out of paranoia on the part of the shutter designer (or manufacturer) that their shutters wouldn't be light tight otherwise?

In any case, on those cameras that have them, it's obvious where they go because one blade has an extra pin on the other side for the extra blade.

Third Eye

Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2004 - 05:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I appreciated the effort on the part of several responders to my question off line. I'm still stuck though, this version of lens/shutter is just different enough in the way the rear element is attached to the metal back to the shutter that the suggestions did not work. If anyone has any further thoughts on this I would appreciate a rethink. It is still hung up about 5 degrees away from the EV setting gear. I can not find anymore screws or attachments to remove.

whatchaknow

Posted on Wednesday, September 07, 2005 - 05:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There is a rectangular hole in the rear of the shutter near the flash sync connection where it is hanging up. You need to insert a fine screwdriver and press towards the middle of the shutter. This will release it for you.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration