Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Minolta srT101 Light meter not working Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Minolta srT101 Light meter not working « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Peter Chiappini

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, January 26, 2004 - 01:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello, I recently acquired a minolta srt 101; everything seemed fine until I tried to test the light meter. Its completely non-functional. It is just stuck at the top. It also doesn't respond when the camera is set to battery check. I used a pair of tweezers to make the connection that the little on/off switch makes and it still didnt respond; I also tested the voltage to make sure the connection was actually made. I read another post that said the needle could just be stuck, but Im not sure how to get to the needle. I removed the top to check the wires and everything looks ok, so I am assuming that the stuck needle is the problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ed

Posted on Monday, January 26, 2004 - 03:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

sometimes the foam that is used as "bumpers" at each of the meter needle travel get gummy and the needle sticks to the at the top. Remove the prism and then frame plate under it. You can then see the movement. Use a smal screwdriver to gently move the needle down and hold it there, then with a curved or bent dental probe carefully reach in and with a wiping action remove any foam that maybe there--do this at both ends. If this was the problem, the neddle should now be free. While you're there, gently check the shutter speed indicator plate the is in the viewfinder--they are frequently loose. Is so, a little touch of quick epoxy will hold it.

Peter Chiappini

Posted on Monday, January 26, 2004 - 06:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you very much for the help. I will try this and follow up in a day or two. -Peter

Travis Robinson

Posted on Tuesday, February 03, 2004 - 06:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I recently acquired the same Minolta SRT 101. Something I learned is these cameras were designed to use a 1.35 volt mercury battery. Sale of these batteries is now illegal, but a zinc air replacement is available from some (not many) camera shops. I tired using the alkaline battery that can be found everywhere with no success. The 625A (alkaline) runs at 1.5 volts. You can also change out the light meter to one that accepts the higher voltage of the common battery.

Travis S. Robinson

J Clark

Posted on Wednesday, March 31, 2004 - 01:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Have you tried pushing the diaphragm stop-down button (right bottom next to lens when holding camera ready for shot). If this is closed, the light meter needle does not move

Sam

Posted on Tuesday, December 21, 2004 - 12:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If your had tried everything and the problem still there, try this.
There is a 'screw mount' at the the top of the meter body, this is to hold the center of the needle, if it was set too tight, it would make the needle not moving properly or completely not functioning. First, you need to use finger nail solvant to remove the paint on the mount, use as little solvant as possible, this will easy melt the plastic of your camera.

Now, try to loose the mount very very little at a time and see if the meter works. The maximum total you can do is only 1/2 of a turn, more than this, it will make the needle came out from the body and it can be forever damaged.

If it works, then tighten it back to a position that it can just start working.

This was how I fixed my SRT 101, Merry Christmas.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration