Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Nikkormat exposuremeter Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Nikkormat exposuremeter « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Rein

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, January 27, 2004 - 01:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The exposuremeter of my old Nikormat FT stopped working. I guess it is a bad contact inside.
Does somebody have experience which the usual weak points are and how to open and repair it?

Sean OKeefe

Posted on Tuesday, January 27, 2004 - 02:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,
Usually this is corrosion in the main wire from the battery compartment. You can usually see easily if this is the case by dropping the bottom plate. I have worked on the FT2 and FT3 but not the FT. Usually there is no extra length in the corroded wire so you need to replace the entire wire from a solder point up top to below at the battery. If you can get the top plate off, you can usually see the wire as it snakes down to the battery compartment. In my FT3, it was as easy as removing top and bottom plates and resoldering the wire. I stole the wire from a mouse per previous post here. Make sure you have a good soldering iron.

Good luck.
sean

Shikyo Sawada

Posted on Sunday, February 22, 2004 - 10:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Nikormat's meter problem is very common. No, it is not correct. Nikkormat's the most common problem is in meter. There is a variable resistor
behind lens mount. It is made of paper strip and coverd with carbon and glued on to frame. It peels off, cracks and wearouts. If your camera's meter was working till now you were one of very lucky person. Most of Nikkormat users would say
Nikkormat with working meters are probably no existence.
You have to replace the carbon disk for repair, or
you have to replace the mirror box. You can not purchase the carbon disk as a part any more, however you still can buy a mirror box for around
$50 from Pacific Camera. I am right now working on my Nikkormat FTn with a new mirror box. I could have repace the disk, however, removing lens mounts from 2 cameras is not easy since screws are glued, so I am replacing the whole box.
Shikyo

wayne

Posted on Wednesday, July 13, 2005 - 02:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i am thinking about purchasing a nikkormat ft2 black bodied camera with a 50mm f1.2 lens the owner say the meter is not working in the camera and there are two wires disconnected as he says he has checked it out i believe these cameras had contact points which wear out and cannot be replaced is there any info or anyone who knows if this is an easy fix problem or should i stay away from buying the camera ?

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration