Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Yashica MG-1 filter ring replacement Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Yashica MG-1 filter ring replacement « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

dm

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, January 27, 2004 - 06:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello,

First post here. I recently picked up a Yashica MG-1, and have replaced the battery and performed some basic cleaning in and out. It looks and feels great! I cant wait to see how the first roll comes out. The camera was very inexpensive, due in part to it having a bent filter ring. Currently I can't fit a filter to it. I was wondering if anyone could give me advice on replacing it - what's involved and where can I source a new ring. Would a ring from an Electro 35 fit? (I know the lens is different).

Thanks for any advice,

cheers

Dan

Howard

Posted on Wednesday, January 28, 2004 - 04:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Dan. I have both an MG-1 and GSN camera, and without pulling them apart to confirm it, the filter rings appear identical. Certainly they both take the same 55mm filter thread. I think Yashica used the same parts in various cameras when they could.
The GSN is the better model of the two cameras, both optically and with superior features, but the MG1 is a nice camera nevertheless, and capable of excellent photos.

Howard

Posted on Wednesday, January 28, 2004 - 04:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I forgot to mention that there is an article on this site under Camera Articles, Restoration Articles, which describes how to repair a filter ring safely and easily, Check it out.
Good luck!

dm

Posted on Wednesday, January 28, 2004 - 08:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Howard,

Thanks for that. I'll give it a go, however the ring does look a little chewed up, and I'm not sure it will ever take a filter. If I pick up a parts camera with a good filter ring, is replacement a difficult task?

cheers

Dan

Winfried

Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2004 - 12:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Usually replacing the filter ring is not too difficult. There is no CdS cell in the name plate ring of the MG1 lens. So you can remove the thin retainer ring, the name plate ring and the first lens cell. I think there are some screws on the bottom of the filter thread part holding it to the rest of the lens assembly.

I had good results with reshaping the filter thread after removing the bulges with a special tool, called 'thread chaser'. It has a zig-zag blade with a pitch identical to that of the thread (.75mm). Unfortunately these tools are hard to locate in Germany and probably impossible (due to metric dimensions) in US.

Howard

Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2004 - 04:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Dan,
Actually there is a CDS cell in the name plate, but that shouldn't cause any great problems. I haven't had mine apart for quite a while but I think if you follow Winfrieds directions you can't go far wrong. Just be aware that the disc with the slot that controls the exposure and fits onto a (plastic ?)dowell has two holes. Take note when taking it apart which hole the pin is fitted into.
I think that the other hole is for a lens with a different maximum aperture, probably used in another model as well. Hope it all goes well!

Winfried

Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2004 - 08:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ooops... I did not have a look at my MG1 for a long time, I thought it had a similar CdS cell as the 35G series. Its design otherwise is very similar to the 35G.

dm

Posted on Friday, January 30, 2004 - 09:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks again! Doesn't sound too difficult. I'll give it a try once I've found a parts camera.

cheers,

Dan

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration