Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Film transport at a Kodak Retina II -... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Film transport at a Kodak Retina II - Type 142 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Reiner

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, January 28, 2004 - 04:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Some time ago I aquired a Retina II Type 142 of 1938 in nice condition. The shutter of the camera works fine at all speeds but the transport mechanism and the double release lock behave mysterious. I am hoping somebody could explain me the correct function of this species.

When I enter a film and turn the advance wheel the film is transported and the picture counter is advanced. However I can turn and turn and the counter counts and counts. There is no lock after the transport of one picture! Furthermore the shutter release on top is allways locked. The shutter itself is never cocked by the film transport which might be ok. The transfer mechanism from the top cap release to the shutter is easily movable and not sticky. So it seems to me that the release button on the top cap is really locked and not only sticky. It seems to me that the film transport is never stopped and the shutter release is never unlocked. Do I make a mistake when I try to use the camera of is it just defective? I know of contemporary cameras which are quite tricky to set up.

rick oleson

Posted on Wednesday, January 28, 2004 - 06:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi reiner:

On this camera, the film turns the sprocket shaft, which operates the shutter release interlock. After the sprocket shaft has turned far enough for one exposure, it shoudl block the wind knob and stop it from turning farther. At the same time, it unlocks the body shutter release button. If your camera keeps winding on and the release button stays locked, the mechanism connected to the sprocket shaft is not working.

Winding the film does not cock the shutter, you have to do this separately.

rick :)=

Reiner

Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2004 - 01:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you, Rick

It somehow meets my expectations. I wanted to be shure before I start to tinker on this camera.

Kyle Crain

Posted on Sunday, February 01, 2004 - 11:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a Voightlander Prominent II that the spring on the filmwinder has come out of its seat. I assumed years ago that the spring was broken. Recently I went into it and found the spring unseated. If anyone could give me help to configure and reseat it I would appreciate it. Thanks.

Mel Krick

Posted on Monday, March 29, 2004 - 08:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello. I have Retina II type 014. This is one of the earlier ones without the conical front, has the flat front. Every thing works except the rangefinder has some internal haze which makes it even more difficult to focus, and the Compur-Rapid shutter speed works only on B and 1/500 no matter where you set it. Cosmetically it is excellent. Has the f2-50 Xenon lens,veryclear and clean. How difficult is it to clean rangefinder and fix shutter? I would like to use this camera.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration