Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Nikon em camera back Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Nikon em camera back « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jerry Schie

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, January 30, 2004 - 02:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Our local camera dealer told us the plate on the inside of the camera back,(presses against the film when closed), needs to be "re-filmed" at a cost of $60.00. Any better ideas?

sean okeefe

Posted on Friday, January 30, 2004 - 03:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jerry,
What problems have you had? Film scratches? I've had Nikon pressure plates with significant wear throughthe paint to the metal on pressure plates with no scratching problems at all.
Sean

Roland F. Harriston

Posted on Friday, January 30, 2004 - 06:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

For not much more (or less, depending) you can get a whole new Nikon EM body from any one of a number of sellers on eBay. The Nikon EM is nearly as plentiful as the much touted Canonet QL17 GIII.

I recently picked up an EM body in near perfect condition for 70 bucks, and I thought that even at that, I paid too much.

In 30 plus years of camera collecting and "shade tree" repairing, I have never had to "refilm" a film pressure plate.

Roland F. Harriston

Ken Bangerter

Posted on Friday, January 30, 2004 - 09:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've been doing camera repairs for 50 years and never heard such a thing. If your pressure plate is scratching the back of the film, remove it and smooth it gently with some 600 grit wet-or-dry paper on a piece of glass, then polish it on a sheet of crocus cloth. It doesn't matter if it's black or silver, shiny or dull as the anti-halation backing on the film is opaque. If the plate is bent or truly not salvagable, I'll give you one for the postage, around $.83 at most. Just look how it pops off just by pulling so the springs come out from their holders and slide it to release the fourth spring. Reverse the procedure to install the replacement.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration