Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Olymus 35 SP - Shutter, timer and ups... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Olymus 35 SP - Shutter, timer and upside down problems « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Ben C

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, January 30, 2004 - 06:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have an Olympus 35 SP that works fine if you hold it level and don't touch the timer - and if you only adjust the shutter speed once the camera is cocked. Otherwise there are all sorts of problems. Are these problems all related? They seem to be all things that are on the lens barrel. Also, if I hold the camera pointing lens to the sky, this usually causes the shutter button to be "not push down-able". I then have to rock the camera all around and re-cock it several times before the shutter button will once again be "push down-able". If I try to adjust the shutter speed ring while the camera is not cocked, I can hear the timer as I'm turning the ring? Is my camera possessed? The timer seems to be a lost cause, but not dead. The timer haunts the rest of the camera functions.

Winfried

Posted on Saturday, January 31, 2004 - 04:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think the shutter button problem is related to the double-exposure lock mechanism which resides under the bottom plate. If there is a loose part or broken spring, it might cause blocking of the shutter button if it 'falls' right into its way in certain positions of the camera.

There might be a faint buzzing sound from the lens barrel when turning the speed ring due to moving gears in the speed escapement. To solve this problem you will have to open the lens barrel (the name plate ring is not screwed in but only glued into place) and check the speed escapement gears.

Ben C

Posted on Saturday, January 31, 2004 - 12:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Winfried. I'll give that a shot. Hey can you recomend a good lens spanning tool? Can you recommend a good economical span wrench? I don't have any lenses that are very big.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration