Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Film advance on Canon FTb stuck Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Film advance on Canon FTb stuck « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Doug

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, January 30, 2004 - 08:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I still have my first SLR, a Canon FTb that I bought in the mid-70s. It is very clean and was fully operational until one day when the film advance jammed. I ultimately removed the film from the camera and have tried unsuccessfully to get it to move. The shutter won't work because the film advance was only half done when it jammed. Is there some solution to this problem other than take it in for repair, which they told me would cost more than the body is worth. It has sentimental value also.

Ed

Posted on Saturday, January 31, 2004 - 05:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Look and see if the counter window is in place. It frerqwuently comes uncemented and gets jammed in the wind mechanism. If you find it gone and it is not salvagable, you can use as piece of celluoid--lightly epoxy in place--do the same with the original if you find it intact.

Doug

Posted on Saturday, January 31, 2004 - 08:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The counter window is intact and in place. Anybody have any other suggestions? Is there a way to open it up to get it unjammed?

David Nebenzahl

Posted on Sunday, February 01, 2004 - 02:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I ended up giving up on a similarly-jammed FTb, after posting a query here and getting several versions of advice. I got both the top & bottom of the camera off with not too much trouble, but it turned out that a complete disassembly of the camera was required, at which point I said the hell with it.

Maybe you'll have better luck with yours.

rick oleson

Posted on Sunday, February 01, 2004 - 02:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Once in a while you get lucky; maybe a screw has come loose and jammed in the gears. Easiest place to look is under the baseplate, so look there first. If you don't find the problem there, top cover is the next stop; if you have to keep going from there it gets more difficult.

You shouldn't need any sketches for the baseplate; I have some for the top cover if you need them.

rick :)=

Doug

Posted on Sunday, February 01, 2004 - 05:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks. That is at least mildly encouraging advice. I have never had a camera open, however. Where do you get the right tool to do it?

David Nebenzahl

Posted on Sunday, February 01, 2004 - 09:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The only special tool you're going to need to get both top and bottom off is a small spanner wrench for the screw on top of the wind lever--you know, the one with two little holes in it. The spanner (pointy variety) sticks into these little holes and turns the screw. But even this can be improvised: two sharpened points held with pliers or something else will do, but you want to be careful so you don't end up with a bunch of nasty scratches.

If you want to get such a spanner, fairly cheaply, plus any other camera-type tools, Micro-Tools has them.

Apart from that, all you need is a set of small ("precision" or "jewelers") screwdrivers, including both flat and cross-point (Phillips) types.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration