Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Polaroid SX-70 trouble Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Polaroid SX-70 trouble « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

leon

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, February 02, 2004 - 11:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm not sure that this can be included in the "Classic" theme of this forum ... but,

I have a polaroid SX-70 I bought at a boot fair (garage sale) for a pittance but it doesnt seem to be working. It makes a (quiet) noise as if it is about to start when I put the film catridge in but this dies out to nothing - from this I know that the cartridge battery is probably ok so it must be the camera motor.

I can see many of the workings in the film chamber (and it all looks like it could do with a good clean) and probably need to give it a bit of a service/ lubrication but this area is very narrow and I cant find any way of taking this camera apart - all of the outside seems completely fastening/ screw-less.

Can anyone here help me, or do they know of someone who can?

Dan Cluley

Posted on Monday, February 02, 2004 - 10:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've not had a lot of experience working on them (lots of little electrical bits ;) ) but this site has a ton of info.
http://www.chemie.unibas.ch/~holder/SX70.html
Hope it helps

Dan

Ezio

Posted on Tuesday, February 03, 2004 - 05:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you are (very) lucky, the problem could be as simple as the film rolls immediately behind the front trap door being dirty. These can be accessed by tilting the whole door element down, without the need to remove anything. These rolls take on a lot a chemicals as the exposed photo passes over them, and if I remember correctly the original Polaroid instruction did recommend to clean them at frequent intervals in order to prevent stains on the photos, malfunctions or STOPPAGES. Of course, however, it could also be a lot of other things.

leon

Posted on Wednesday, February 04, 2004 - 02:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

thanks for the tips - i'm afraid I've decided to have this one put to sleep - far too tricky to fix .... put it down to experience.

Dan Cluley

Posted on Thursday, February 05, 2004 - 11:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does anyone know if the SX-70 film is still in production. In the last year all of the stores around here (Michigan, USA) have stopped carrying it.

Thanks,

Dan

leon

Posted on Friday, February 06, 2004 - 11:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

it's still easily available in the UK - not sure if this is old stock though

Hal

Posted on Monday, February 16, 2004 - 02:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've been working on repairing one of these, I have one (mostly) working, but when I take a photo, it ejects two photos instead of one. This usually jams the eject mechanism. Does anybody know the cause / fix for this problem?
Thanks!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration