Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Olympus 35 SP - Shutter problem Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Olympus 35 SP - Shutter problem « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Ben C

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, February 03, 2004 - 09:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Now I realize that when my shutter speed is set to any speed slower than 1/30, the shutter seems to open up to the correct size for about set amount of time 1/2 1/4 1/8... whatever, then it closes partially to a smaller open hole, while the camera buzzes (sounds like the self-timer buzzer) for a little while longer, then finally, much too slowly, the camera makes a little click noise and that little hole closes completely.

The self-timer on this camera definately is messed up. Anybody have any suggestions? P.S. I haven't tried to open it up yet because I don't have lens spanner yet.

chris

Posted on Tuesday, February 03, 2004 - 07:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Ben,

As Winfried has pointed out , the lens cover is glued on and I believe this represents your greatest challenge. You will have to try and lift it out very carefully with a flattened plastic tooth pick and work our way around the plate , its very thin and easily distorts, it should come off unless someone superglued it (like mine!!!)

I have unscrewed the front lens assembly on both of my SP using plastic tooth pics, just cut the tip to fit snugly into the slots ,then holding one in each hand apply even pressure counterclockwise .You might want to ask someone to hold the camera while you are doing this.

After removing the speed ring and cover and you should be able to see the timer escapement just below the lens.

You should be able to cock and fire the camera and see if the escapement is the cause of your problems. Mine was jammed by dried grease.

If that is your problem , then you should carefully remove the assembly and soak it in some trico-ethylene (or benzene) for a couple of days. Be very careful when you remove the esacapement , there are some very nasty springs. Maybe someone else on this tread can giuide you on the process.

While you are at it do the same to the self-timer.

Thats as far as I got with mine , I am still trying to remove the lens assembly and service the aperture and shutter blades.

Good luck.

Ben C

Posted on Wednesday, February 04, 2004 - 07:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Chris. I'm glad it might be as simple as some dried gunk in there. However, I don't know if I have a later model or something, but my lens cover is screwed in. It was a very thin threaded name plate. I was able to get that off (to corn cob holders with one prong removed). I'll give the plastic toothpicks a try but those 2 rings after the cover look like they're in there pretty solid. I think I'm going to get a lens spanner if the picks don't work. I don't want to risk scratching anything with the corn cob prongs.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration